Thermodynamics and heat capacity

In summary, a 10.0 g sample of platinum is placed in a sealed vessel at low pressure and heated at a rate of 10.0 W. The thermodynamic properties of platinum at low pressure are given, including molar mass, latent heat of sublimation, triple point pressure, and triple point temperature. The problem asks for the time it takes for the platinum to fully sublimate, assuming an initial temperature of 25.0 C and sublimation at the triple point temperature. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations Q = nLS and Q = mCT, but the specific heat of platinum is not given. One possible solution is to assume that the pressure is always at 3.50 Pa
struggles

Homework Statement

1. A 10.0 g sample of solid platinum is placed in a large, sealed vessel at a sufficiently low pressure that the platinum is able to sublimate directly to a gas. Some thermodynamic properties of platinum at low pressure are given in the following table.
Molar mass, M - 195 mol-1
Latent heat of sublimation, LS 363 kJ mol-1
Triple point pressure, pTP 3.50 Pa
Triple point temperature, TTP 1550'C

The platinum is heated at a rate of 10.0 W. If the initial temperature of the platinum is 25.0 ◦C, and it sublimates at the triple point temperature, how long will it take for the platinum to fully sublimate?

Homework Equations

Q = nLS
Q = mCT[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My thoughts so far:
Time = Energy required/power
Energy required to sublimate at 1550"C = Q = nLS
Energy required to heat from 25 - 1550 = Q = mcΔT. This is where i have a problem as there is no data given for the specific heat capacity of platinum. I was considering using the dulong-petit rule that all solids have Cv = 3R but the volume is not kept constant so I'm not sure how to work out the energy required to heat the platinum.

Physics news on Phys.org
struggles said:

Homework Statement

1. A 10.0 g sample of solid platinum is placed in a large, sealed vessel at a sufficiently low pressure that the platinum is able to sublimate directly to a gas. Some thermodynamic properties of platinum at low pressure are given in the following table.

The platinum is heated at a rate of 10.0 W. If the initial temperature of the platinum is 25.0 ◦C, and it sublimates at the triple point temperature, how long will it take for the platinum to fully sublimate?

Homework Equations

Q = nLS
Q = mCT[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My thoughts so far:
Energy required to heat from 25 - 1550 = Q = mcΔT. This is where i have a problem as there is no data given for the specific heat capacity of platinum. I was considering using the dulong-petit rule that all solids have Cv = 3R but the volume is not kept constant so I'm not sure how to work out the energy required to heat the platinum.
You're in luck.

Someone has made a detailed study of the thermodynamic properties of platinum and published a paper here:

http://www.technology.matthey.com/article/49/3/141-149/

The paper may be downloaded free of charge, and it contains a formula which calculates the specific heat of solid platinum which is valid from room temperature all the way to the M.P. and beyond.

Thanks for looking that up for me. However I'm revising and this is an old exam question so I would need to be able to solve it in exam conditions with just the information available in the exam so finding the heat capacity wouldn't be possible. Thank you anyway though!

struggles said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Q = nLS
Q = mCT
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
My thoughts so far:
Since pressure in the range 25C - 1550C is not given you could perhaps assume the pressure corresponds to the platinum always resting on the sublimation curve. If the pressure is assumed at 3.50 Pa at all temperatures then you'd need the specific heat of the metal. In the former case the problem is pretty trivial.

rude man said:
Since pressure in the range 25C - 1550C is not given you could perhaps assume the pressure corresponds to the platinum always resting on the sublimation curve. If the pressure is assumed at 3.50 Pa at all temperatures then you'd need the specific heat of the metal. In the former case the problem is pretty trivial.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Surely you still have to heat the metal up to the triple point temp as the question states that that is where it sublimates? I think i might be misunderstanding what you are saying because although I can visualise the sublimation curve on a graph I am not fully getting how this helps simplify the problem!

struggles said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Surely you still have to heat the metal up to the triple point temp as the question states that that is where it sublimates? I think i might be misunderstanding what you are saying because although I can visualise the sublimation curve on a graph I am not fully getting how this helps simplify the problem!
I think I'd better opt out of this problem. I'm not sure I see how the experiment is performed. At least I need to think more about it. Someone else will probably rescue you in the meantime, hopefully.

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems.

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a cooler object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In other words, heat is energy in transit, while temperature is a measure of the amount of energy in a substance.

3. What is heat capacity and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is related to thermodynamics because it is a measure of how much energy a substance can store and release in a given temperature change.

4. What is the difference between specific heat and molar heat capacity?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius, while molar heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 mole of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. In other words, specific heat is on a per-gram basis, while molar heat capacity is on a per-mole basis.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a role in many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling our homes, and even driving our cars. It helps us understand how energy is transformed and transferred in these processes, allowing us to make more efficient and sustainable choices. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and meteorology.