Radioactive decay question for K --> Ca

In summary, the compound can be created by bombarding K-40 with a beam of protons. This causes the nucleus to undergo neutron capture, and the resulting product is K-39.
ProjectFringe
As I understand 40K decays into 40Ca over a period of ##1.248(3)×10^9## yrs. Assuming this is the natural rate of decay, is there any way to shorten the period of decay (increase the rate of decay), for example, under extreme pressure or heat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not measurably.

Likes vanhees71 and ProjectFringe
The quantum Zeno or Anti-Zeno effects?

Likes ProjectFringe
ProjectFringe said:
As I understand 40K decays into 40Ca over a period of 1.248(3)×109 yrs.
No, that´ s the total half-life.
ProjectFringe said:
Assuming this is the natural rate of decay, is there any way to shorten the period of decay (increase the rate of decay), for example, under extreme pressure or heat?

Increasing pressure would speed up decay into 40Ar by electron capture, because density of electrons to be captured is affected by pressure and chemical environment. But electron emission would be less affected, and increase of pressure would slow it down as electron states are taken.
Extreme heat would promote beta decay as the electrons, especially inner electrons of K are ionized away, opening decays into bound states.

Likes ProjectFringe
Not 109, should be ##10^9##.

Likes ProjectFringe
mathman said:
Not 109, should be ##10^9##.
Fixed with in-line LaTeX. Thanks for the catch! :smile:
ProjectFringe said:
As I understand 40K decays into 40Ca over a period of ##1.248(3)×10^9## yrs.

Likes ProjectFringe
Shooting electrons beams at K-40 could speed up electron capture to argon, too.

Shooting positrons could lead to positron capture.

Likes ProjectFringe
Thanks for your replies and sorry for the mistakes! o_O

One last question related to this (I hope)...

I understand 40K can decay into 40Ca, but where does 40K come from? Is it decaying from something else?

For example, is it possible, under certain conditions, that 41Ca decays to 40K+H(or a neutron), instead of 41K through electron capture?

Last edited:
K-40 is produced in heavy stars late in their life together with other potassium and the surrounding elements. Neutron capture of K-39 or one of the many other reactions that can happen under these conditions.

Likes vanhees71 and ProjectFringe
mfb said:
K-40 is produced in heavy stars late in their life together with other potassium and the surrounding elements. Neutron capture of K-39 or one of the many other reactions that can happen under these conditions.
I find that the cross sections of K isotopes for neutron capture are, from
https://www.ncnr.nist.gov/resources/n-lengths/elements/k.html
K-39 2,1 barns
K-41 1,46 barns
Does this mean that the abundances of K isotopes should relate as inverse of their neutron cross-section - about 40 % K-39 and 60 % K-41?

Likes ProjectFringe
No, it's far more complex. You didn't consider the source of these two nuclei, you didn't consider the energy-dependence of the cross section, and you didn't consider the neutron flux. Apart from the cross section all these depend on time, too.

Likes ProjectFringe and vanhees71
Thanks again everyone for your help!:biggrin:

I've been working for 8 years on creating a compound and I think I'm finally to the point where I can post the basic steps in the creation process, along with what I think could happen at each step. I'll post it soon as a separate posting to get some much needed feedback!o_O

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, ultimately resulting in the formation of a more stable nucleus.

2. How is radioactive decay measured?

Radioactive decay is measured by the rate at which a radioactive substance decays, which is typically expressed in terms of its half-life, or the amount of time it takes for half of the substance to decay.

3. What is the role of potassium and calcium in radioactive decay?

Potassium and calcium are both elements that can undergo radioactive decay. In the case of K --> Ca, potassium decays into calcium through a process called beta decay, where a beta particle (an electron) is emitted from the nucleus.

4. How is the rate of decay for K --> Ca determined?

The rate of decay for K --> Ca is determined by the specific half-life of potassium, which is approximately 1.3 billion years. This means that after 1.3 billion years, half of the original amount of potassium will have decayed into calcium.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding radioactive decay?

Understanding radioactive decay has many practical applications, including in radiometric dating to determine the age of rocks and fossils, in nuclear power generation, and in medical imaging and cancer treatment. It also helps us understand the history of the Earth and the universe.