1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive reactions -half-life Decay physics 30

1. Jan 1, 2008 #1
    1. hi i would like to now how i could do this?
    the question says:
    iodine-131 is a radiactive element used in the medical diagnosis and treatment of thyroid problems. iodine-131 undergoes simultaneous beta and gamma decay and has a half-life of 8.00 days.

2.im ask to write the complete decay equation for iodine-131

3. i know the formula for the life time is N=No(1/2)^n and n=time after/half-life...T(1/2)
    but im not sure if thats the equation to do the decay...
    ...or the complete decay equation they are asking for is a series of radioactive elements.. like the folowing
    ex: 226 Ra--->222 Rn + 4 He
    ....... 88.............86..........2

if is as the example im not sure how to do it..could someone explain me how could i do it ? thanks
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Yes, this is what they are asking.

If an electron is emitted by the nucleus, what happens to the atomic number?
  4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    Since they mention it's a beta emitter, but also mention the half life, I can see the confusion. Typically, in health physics and nuclear engineering, when asked for the decay equation for a radioactive element, it's asking for A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t). However, it (i.e., the decay equation) is sometimes used in the second manner, as pointed out by Shooting star. I suppose it depends on the chapter of the book you're using. From the title of your post, it says half life decay, so I would go with the first
  5. Jan 3, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

After reading the original post once more, I agree with user daveb. Sorry for misleading the OP a bit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?