Don't understand this question regarding radioactive decay

In summary, the decay chain of radioactive isotopes is governed by a few basic equations, which can be solved to determine the differential equations governing the rate of change of the isotope's mass over time.
Just some student
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
1. Create and solve differential equations for the number of different amounts of isotopes, which change through time in the decay chain X -> Y -> Z, where X and Y are radioactive atoms, and Z is a stable atom.

Make a mathematical analysis of how the different amounts of isotopes from 1 mg if the isotope Tellurium-131 changes through time.

Again, I don't need help solving these, just understanding what I'm asked to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The most basic equation for radioactive decay is that the change (with respect to time) in the mass m0 of the isotope present = a constant times the initial mass of the isotope; this is obviously a diff.eq., whose solution will give you the mass m1 . But now you have another change, so you end up with the rate of change of your mass given an initial mass of m1 = another constant times m1, the solution of which will give you the final mass m2. So, after writing these equations, can you now also write an equation whose solution will yield m2 given m0? Then you are asked, if m0 is 1 mg, and you find the decay sequence for that isotope and the corresponding half-lives which will determine the respective constants, to apply your equations to those values. That is how I see it; if anyone corrects me, that is also good.

nomadreid said:
the change (with respect to time) in the mass m0 of the isotope present = a constant times the initial mass of the isotope
That could be misinterpreted as referring always to the mass at time 0. Allow me to reword it.

If the mass of the isotope at time t is m(t) then the rate of loss of that mass is a constant (for that isotope species) multiplied by the current mass, m(t).
Can you turn that into a differential equation?

Likes nomadreid
I'm so sorry that I'm kinda late, but here goes for the sake of learning:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Nuclear/halfli2.html

Essentially there are a few equations governing the exponential decay behaviour of radioactive isotopes, which can be related to their half life. From these equations, you should be able to get differential equations in t.

Likes nomadreid
Get acquainted with the basic equations concerning the behavior of radioactive isotopes. This will help you to understand the whole picture. However, if you still want to find out more concerning your question you can ask a question at https://studydaddy.com/ people there are good at finding solutions to complicated questions.

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom transforms into a more stable atom by releasing energy in the form of radiation.

2. How does radioactive decay occur?

Radioactive decay occurs when the nucleus of an atom is unstable and has too much energy. The nucleus then releases this excess energy in the form of radiation, such as alpha, beta, or gamma particles, until it reaches a more stable state.

3. What factors can affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by the type of isotope, the amount of the isotope present, and external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. What is the half-life of a radioactive isotope?

The half-life of a radioactive isotope is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of the isotope to decay. It is a constant characteristic of each isotope and can vary from fractions of a second to billions of years.

5. How is radioactive decay used in scientific research and applications?

Radioactive decay has various uses in scientific research and applications, including carbon dating to determine the age of archaeological materials, medical imaging and cancer treatment, and powering nuclear reactors for electricity generation.