Power generated by radioactive decay

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the Q value and power output for the alpha decay of 238 Pu. The Q value is found to be 5.594 MeV and the power output from 1 gram of 238 Pu is calculated to be 0.57 Watts assuming 100% conversion efficiency. The process of finding the time interval and converting the energy from MeV to Joules is also discussed. The conversation ends with a question about the textbook this question was from, but it is unclear if a response will be received.
leehufford

Homework Statement

A radioactive source is to be used to produce electrical power from the alpha decay of 238 Pu (half life of 88 years).
a) What is the Q value for the decay?
b) Assuming 100% conversion efficiency, how much power could be obtained from the decay of 1.0 g of 238 Pu?

Homework Equations

λ = ln(2)/(88 years)
Number of nuclei = (mass)x(Molar Mass)x(Avogadro's number)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the correct Q value of 5.594 MeV for part a. But for part b, I found the number of 238 Pu nuclei in a 1.0 g sample to be 1.433x10^26. I reason that there is 5.594 MeV of energy per nuclei, for a total of 8.0165x10^26 MeV total available energy in the sample. The answer is supposed to be in Watts, so I think I need to find the time interval over which the 8x10^26 MeV of energy is released (and convert the MeV to J!). That's why the half life is given, yet I am unsure on how to proceed to getting a time interval. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
leehufford said:
I found the number of 238 Pu nuclei in a 1.0 g sample to be 1.433x10^26.
You might want to double check your arithmetic to this point first.

Bystander said:
You might want to double check your arithmetic to this point first.

Whoops. Looks like I inverted the grams per mole. Inverting back gives 2.529x10^21 nuclei, with a total energy of 1.418x10^22 MeV. Thanks for the catch. Any advice on the time aspect? Thanks again,

Lee

If you want power as a function of time, calculate decays per second and do your conversion. If you want an "average" power over some service life (say one or two half lives), calculate total decay over that time, calculate that time in seconds, divide, do the conversion.

Double check the question as well to see that it asks for "power" and not energy. I'm guessing "power." And the way it's written, it looks like it's asking for instantaneous power, dQ/dt, so you'll want to set up the decay rate for decays/s.

Good 'nuff?

Likes leehufford
Bystander said:
If you want power as a function of time, calculate decays per second and do your conversion. If you want an "average" power over some service life (say one or two half lives), calculate total decay over that time, calculate that time in seconds, divide, do the conversion.

Double check the question as well to see that it asks for "power" and not energy. I'm guessing "power." And the way it's written, it looks like it's asking for instantaneous power, dQ/dt, so you'll want to set up the decay rate for decays/s.

Good 'nuff?

Yes. You got me moving in the right direction. I reasoned that the word "could" in the original problem meant total power output. I simply multiplied (decays/sec) and (energy) to get energy/sec, converted to joules and got the correct answer (its in the back of the book) of 0.57 Watts. Thank you for your help!

Lee

Last edited:
What textbook was this question in?

mo kapler said:
What textbook was this question in?
lee hasn't been to PF since March. I don't think you're going to get a reply ...

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy and particles (such as alpha or beta particles) in order to become more stable.

2. How is power generated by radioactive decay?

Energy is released during radioactive decay in the form of heat. This heat can be harnessed and converted into electrical energy, which can then be used as power.

3. What types of radioactive materials are used to generate power?

There are several types of radioactive materials used to generate power, including uranium, plutonium, and thorium. These materials are chosen because they have long half-lives, meaning they will continue to decay and release energy for a long period of time.

4. Is power generated by radioactive decay safe?

While there are potential risks and dangers associated with nuclear power, it is generally considered safe when strict safety protocols and regulations are followed. However, there is still ongoing research and development to improve safety measures and minimize any potential risks.

5. How is the power generated by radioactive decay used?

The power generated by radioactive decay is typically used to generate electricity, which can then be used for various purposes such as powering homes, businesses, and even vehicles. It is also used in various industries for processes such as desalination, sterilization, and space exploration.