Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive timebomb in Russian nuclear dump that could threaten Europe?

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    I just read the following article, from 2007:

I find that pretty worrying, but oddly enough, there is hardly any other information to be found on this subject. The only other articles I can find link back to this one, so I wonder, is this just sensationalist reporting or is there some truth to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can't explode (the article admits this after the headline), the are talking about a hydrogen explosion, from metal which is corroded enough to allow seawater in but is apparently strong enough to allow massive amounts of high pressure hydrogen and oxygen to form.

The environmental effects, which most the article are about, are the exact opposite - a leak of radionuclides would create a massive environmental reserve where nobody wanted to hunt or fish - just like Chernobyl.

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Also, I'm pretty sure the scientific consensus does not include the conclusion that Chernobyl killed 100,000 people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

The relecs of the old Soviet Union really are an environmental disaster and need to be dealt with, but we should keep the risk in perspective.

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These sort of figures are always suspect, they are extending an outdoors smoking ban here to include beaches and wilderness - the justification is the claim passive smoking is the second biggest killer. The reasoning being that all cancers in non-smokers must be due to second-hand smoke!

6. Apr 13, 2010 #5
    In other news; Russians are evil, and Al Gore has claimed he invented the toaster oven.

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6
    In Soviet Russia, nuclear bomb explodes you.

8. Apr 13, 2010 #7
    One word: Telegraph.

9. Apr 14, 2010 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The hundreds of thousands deaths in Chernobyl meme (and variations) came from taking the total number of deaths in Kiev Oblast for some number of years after the disaster and attributing all of it to Chernobyl.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook