Radiocarbon creation mechanisms

• Thread starter bbh2808
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creation
In summary, C-14 can be created through high energy neutrons colliding with nitrogen atoms, nuclear testing, and potentially meteor impacts. However, beta+ decay from nitrogen-14 does not directly produce C-14. The presence of free, high-energy neutrons is necessary for the nuclear reaction that creates C-14, so it would not occur in a neutron-free event like a meteor impact.
bbh2808
Hello all!

I have a question about the way or ways in which C-14 can be created:

From the background research I have done, I see that high energy neutrons colliding with nitrogen atoms give rise to C-14. I also looked a little bit into beta+ decay. I was curious as to whether or not beta+ decay could also create radiocarbon?

From what I'm able to gather, nuclear testing also created C-14 from nitrogen. I was curious if the energy released by the nuclear detonation alone created the C-14 or if the presence of free neutrons in the atomic blast was necessary for C-14 creation?

Physics news on Phys.org
C-14 production from beta plus decay would happen from nitrogen-14, which is a stable nucleus, so C-14 won't be produced by beta + decay, at least not directly by it.

In nuclear detonations, the neutrons are necessary to induce the
n + N-14 --> C-12 + H-1
reaction. If you had a neutron-free nuclear weapon, whose energy would be released only by charged particles and medium-energy photons (primarily x-rays), C-14 would not be produced, nor any other nuclear reaction would take place outside the weapon.

Last edited:
Right on. So the presence of free, high-energy neutrons is absolutely necessary for the nuclear reaction which creates C-14 then?

I was thinking that meteor impacts such as the siberian impact in 1908 which released 15 megatons of energy could create C-14, but I guess in lieu of free neutrons in the blast, that would not occur?

Yep, the neutrons are necessary. Meteor impacts, even when on such a large scale, release the energy in a different way and no free neutrons are emitted. In an impact event, the kinetic energy of the meteorite is converted to heat. It might look like a nuclear explosion and have same magnitude of energy release, but would not actually change any nuclei, and as such, not release any neutrons.

1. What is radiocarbon creation?

Radiocarbon creation refers to the process by which carbon-14 (C-14) is produced in the Earth's atmosphere. It is created when cosmic rays from the sun collide with nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere, resulting in a reaction that converts some of the nitrogen atoms into C-14.

2. How is radiocarbon created?

Radiocarbon is created through the bombardment of nitrogen atoms by cosmic rays from the sun. This reaction results in the formation of C-14, which then combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere.

3. How long does it take for radiocarbon to be created?

The creation of radiocarbon is an ongoing process that occurs continuously in the Earth's atmosphere. However, it takes around 8 minutes for the cosmic rays to reach the Earth's atmosphere and initiate the creation of C-14.

4. Are there any other sources of radiocarbon besides the atmosphere?

While the atmosphere is the primary source of radiocarbon, it can also be created in small amounts through the bombardment of nitrogen atoms in the upper atmosphere by high-energy particles from space.

5. How does radiocarbon creation impact the accuracy of radiocarbon dating?

Radiocarbon creation plays a crucial role in the accuracy of radiocarbon dating. By understanding the rate of C-14 production and its variations over time, scientists can calibrate radiocarbon dating techniques to accurately determine the age of organic materials.