Beta and gamma rays from radium

In summary, the emission of alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma rays from radium is what causes the sample to maintain a higher temperature than its surroundings. The first statement suggests that these particles and rays collide with radium atoms or daughter atoms, resulting in an increase in temperature. The second statement states that natural radium (specifically 226Ra) mainly emits alpha particles, but other steps in its decay chain also emit alpha or beta particles, often accompanied by gamma rays. This includes the first step, which is the emission of radon.
PainterGuy
Hi:

A sample of radium metal maintains itself at a higher temperature than its surroundings because of the radiation it emits – alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma rays.

More specifically, natural radium (which is mostly 226Ra) emits mostly alpha particles, but other steps in its decay chain (the uranium or radium series) emit alpha or beta particles, and almost all particle emissions are accompanied by gamma rays.[14]
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium

Question 1:
I think that the first statement suggests that it's the emission of alpha particles, beta particles and gamma rays which raises the temperature of radium sample; possibly on their way out from the sample, those particles and gamma rays collide with some of the radium atoms or daughter atoms and hence the raise in temperature compared to that of the surroundings. Do I make sense?

Question 2:
I find the the second statement confusing. In the past I have mostly read that radium emits alpha, beta, and gamma rays in its process of radioactive decay. Does it mean that the pure element radium only emits alpha particles? No gamma rays as well?

I do not understand the statement where it says "but other steps its decay chain ... emit alpha or beta particles". Could you please help me with it?

Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are beta and gamma rays?

Beta and gamma rays are types of radiation emitted from radium. Beta rays are high-energy electrons, while gamma rays are high-energy photons.

2. How are beta and gamma rays produced?

Beta and gamma rays are produced through the process of radioactive decay, where the nucleus of an atom releases energy in the form of radiation.

3. What are the dangers of beta and gamma rays?

Beta and gamma rays can be harmful to living organisms because they have the ability to penetrate and damage cells in the body. Exposure to high levels of these rays can lead to radiation sickness and even cancer.

4. How do we protect ourselves from beta and gamma rays?

To protect ourselves from beta and gamma rays, we can use shielding materials such as lead or concrete to block the radiation. We can also limit our exposure by following safety protocols and regulations when working with radioactive materials.

5. What are the uses of beta and gamma rays in science?

Beta and gamma rays have various uses in science, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. They can also be used in industrial applications, such as sterilization and thickness measurement of materials.