Radium decomposes radioactively

• Thread starter EsKiMoMoNKeY
  • Start date
In summary, radium decomposes radioactively to form radon by emitting an alpha-particle, which has a mass of 6.6404 x 10^-24 grams. To find the force of repulsion between the radon nucleus and alpha-particle at a distance of 5 x 10^-11 cm, we can use Coulomb's law, which states that F = k x ((charge1 x charge2)/r^2). The value of k is 8.99 x 10^9 and the r value is 5 x 10^-11 cm. The charge on a radon nucleus is 86, while an alpha particle has a charge of +2. Therefore, the force of repulsion
EsKiMoMoNKeY
Radium decomposes radioactively to form radon (atomic number 86, which is also the number of protons in the nucleus) by emitting an alpha-particle from its nucleus.

The mass of an alpha-particle is 6.6404 x 10^-24 grams.

What is the force of repulsion between the radon nucleus and the alpha-particle, when the distance between them is 5 x 10^-11 cm?

What is the acceleration of the alpha-particle at this distance?

I am not sure what equation I need to use to solve this equation.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking up Coulomb's law.

Coulomb's law is F = k x ((force1 x force2)/r^2)

Where k is 8.99 x 10^9

and r = distance between them which is 5 x 10^-11

I do not know how to get the force of each particle.

Some more help would be appreciated!

EsKiMoMoNKeY said:
Coulomb's law is F = k x ((force1 x force2)/r^2)

Where k is 8.99 x 10^9

and r = distance between them which is 5 x 10^-11

I do not know how to get the force of each particle.

Some more help would be appreciated!

No, that's not Coulomb's law. Coulombs law is
Force = k x ((charge1 x charge2)/r^2)

So i do not know what the alpha-particles charge is, but i can look up radon's charge right?

EDIT
So the alpha-particle's charge is the opposite of what radium loses?

Last edited:
Do you know what an alpha particle is? You should be able to look up its charge also.

The entire question was in my first post. The difference between radium to radon is 88 -> 86 so would charge 1 be 2 and charge 2 be -2?

No. You should know or be able to find:

(1) What is the charge on a Radon nucleus?
(2) What is an alpha particle and what is its charge?

What is radium?

Radium is a chemical element with the symbol Ra and atomic number 88. It is a highly radioactive metal that is silvery-white in color and is found in small amounts in the Earth's crust.

How does radium decompose radioactively?

Radium undergoes a process called radioactive decay, in which the nucleus of an atom spontaneously breaks down and releases energy in the form of radiation. This process results in the formation of different elements and isotopes.

What is the half-life of radium?

The half-life of radium is about 1600 years, which means that it takes 1600 years for half of the original amount of radium to decay into other elements.

What are the potential dangers of radium's radioactive decay?

Radium's radioactive decay can emit various types of radiation, including alpha, beta, and gamma particles, which can be harmful to living organisms. Exposure to high levels of radium can increase the risk of developing cancer and other health issues.

How is radium used in scientific research and applications?

Radium's radioactive properties make it useful in various scientific and medical applications, such as in cancer treatment, radiography, and as a tracer in geological and environmental studies. However, due to its potential health risks, its use is closely regulated.