Radius of a projectile at the top of its path.

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of curvature of a projectile fired at a given speed and angle. The radius of curvature is defined as the radius of the circle that matches up with the local path of the projectile at a given point. Part a asks for the radius of curvature at the top of the parabolic motion, while part b asks for the angle at which the radius of curvature at the top is half the maximum height. The centripetal acceleration at the top can be found by considering that there is no vertical speed at that point.
CornMuffin

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired at spead v0 and angle [tex]\Theta[/tex]. What is the radius of curvature of the parabolic motion
a) at the top?
b) At what angle should the projectile be fired so that the radius of curvature at the top equals half the maximum height?

(the projectile is fired on a horizontal plane)

Homework Equations

Radius of curvature is defined to be the radius of the circle that matches up with the path locally at a given point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help getting started with this problem I'm sure I can finish it on my own, I'm just not sure how to find the radius of curvature on a parametric curve. I probably can do part b on my own after I figure out how to do part a.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the centripetal acceleration at the top? (Hint: There is no vertical speed at the top).

1. What is the radius of a projectile at the top of its path?

The radius of a projectile at the top of its path is the distance from the center of the projectile to its outermost point at the highest point of its trajectory.

2. How is the radius of a projectile at the top of its path related to its initial velocity?

The radius of a projectile at the top of its path is directly proportional to its initial velocity. This means that as the initial velocity increases, so does the radius of the projectile at the top of its path.

3. Does air resistance affect the radius of a projectile at the top of its path?

Yes, air resistance can affect the radius of a projectile at the top of its path. As air resistance increases, the projectile may experience a decrease in velocity and a decrease in the radius at the top of its path.

4. How does the angle of projection affect the radius of a projectile at the top of its path?

The angle of projection can affect the radius of a projectile at the top of its path. If the angle of projection is increased, the radius at the top of the path may increase. However, if the angle of projection is decreased, the radius at the top of the path may also decrease.

5. Can the radius of a projectile at the top of its path change during its flight?

Yes, the radius of a projectile at the top of its path can change during its flight. This can happen due to various factors such as air resistance, changing angle of projection, and external forces acting on the projectile.