Radius of curvature of glass and water lens

In summary, based on the given information, it can be concluded that r1 must be the smaller radius compared to r2. This can be visualized by drawing two circles with different radii and observing that the intersection points will be closer to the center of the circle with the smaller radius. This can also be seen by shifting the smaller circle to different positions and noting that the lens formed by the intersection always stretches more than half way around the circles.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

by taking the lower curvature as r1 , and the upper curvature as r2 ,
i don't know whether r1 is 20cm , r2 is 10cm or vice versa.

But according to the ans r1= 10 cm , r2= 20cm . why is it so?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140819_135440[1].jpg
    IMG_20140819_135440[1].jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw two circles the same size, with centres only a little apart. look at where the circles meet in relation to the two centres. The line joining the the intersections bisects the line joining the centres.
If the circles have different radii then the intersections will be closer to one of the circle centres - which one?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Draw two circles the same size, with centres only a little apart. look at where the circles meet in relation to the two centres. The line joining the the intersections bisects the line joining the centres.
If the circles have different radii then the intersections will be closer to one of the circle centres - which one?

i drew the diagram , and it show what you have said. but i still don't understand why it is so . can you explain further?

desmond iking said:
i drew the diagram , and it show what you have said. but i still don't understand why it is so . can you explain further?

Let me try another approach.
Wrt the original diagram, the question is whether r1 can be the larger radius.
Start with two circles of different radii, with the smaller inside and touching the larger. For reference, take the circle centres to be on the same X axis, with the point of contact on the left.
If we shift the smaller to the left it will be partly outside, and the left half of the arrangement will look like the original diagram but with r1 as the smaller radius. So see what happens if we shift it to the right.
At first, the smaller will be wholly inside the larger, no intersection. When intersection occurs again, the right half will again look like the original diagram, but again, with r1 as the smaller radius.
If we continue moving the smaller to the right, until it is nearly outside the larger, neither the left half nor the right half of the arrangement looks quite like the original diagram. In each case, the lens stretches more than half way around the circles.

You may think that's a lot to have to go through in order to solve the given problem. I didn't have to go through all that to solove it, because I just looked at the diagram and saw that r1 was the tighter curve, so must have the smaller radius. But I couldn't see a way to turn that into a solid argument.

I would first like to clarify that the radius of curvature for a lens is measured from the center of the lens to the surface of the lens. This is different from the radius of curvature for a spherical object, which is measured from the center of the sphere to its surface.

Now, in the case of a glass and water lens, the radius of curvature will depend on the refractive indices of both materials. The refractive index of glass is higher than that of water, which means that light will bend more when passing through the glass lens. This results in a smaller radius of curvature for the lower surface of the lens (r1) compared to the upper surface (r2).

To determine the exact values of r1 and r2, we can use the lens maker's formula, which relates the radius of curvature, refractive index, and focal length of a lens. This formula is given by:

1/f = (n2 - n1) * (1/r1 - 1/r2)

Where f is the focal length, n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials, and r1 and r2 are the radii of curvature for the lower and upper surfaces, respectively.

In this case, we know that the focal length of the lens is positive (since it is a converging lens), and the refractive index of glass is higher than that of water. Therefore, to get a positive focal length, we need the term (1/r1 - 1/r2) to be positive. This means that r1 must be smaller than r2, which is why the answer given is r1=10 cm and r2=20 cm.

In conclusion, the values of r1 and r2 depend on the refractive indices of the materials and can be determined using the lens maker's formula. The answer given is correct and follows the laws of optics.

1. What is the radius of curvature of a glass lens?

The radius of curvature of a glass lens refers to the distance between the center of the lens and its surface at the maximum curvature point. It is usually denoted by the letter "R" and is measured in millimeters (mm).

2. How does the radius of curvature affect the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is directly proportional to the radius of curvature. This means that a lens with a smaller radius of curvature will have a shorter focal length, and vice versa. The relationship between these two values is represented by the lens maker's equation: 1/f = (n-1) * (1/R1 - 1/R2), where "f" is the focal length and "n" is the refractive index of the lens material.

3. What is the significance of the radius of curvature in lens design?

The radius of curvature is a critical factor in lens design as it determines the shape and optical properties of the lens. For example, a lens with a flatter curvature will have a wider field of view, while a lens with a steeper curvature will have a narrower field of view. Additionally, the radius of curvature also affects the amount of distortion, aberration, and magnification of the lens.

4. How does the radius of curvature differ between a glass lens and a water lens?

The radius of curvature of a water lens is typically smaller than that of a glass lens. This is because water has a lower refractive index than glass, meaning that it bends light less aggressively. As a result, the curvature of a water lens needs to be steeper to achieve the same optical effects as a glass lens.

5. How does the radius of curvature affect the optical power of a lens?

The optical power of a lens is directly related to its curvature, with a steeper curvature resulting in a higher optical power. This is because a steeper curvature means that the lens will bend light more, resulting in a stronger magnification effect. The relationship between the radius of curvature and optical power is represented by the formula P = (n-1) / R, where "P" is the optical power and "n" is the refractive index of the lens material.