Find the refractive index for the lens and find the image distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Karl Karlsson
Messages
104
Reaction score
12
Homework Statement
A thin lens has an upper radius of curvature đť‘…1 and a lower radius of curvature đť‘…2. When the lens is completely surrounded by air, it has a focal distance đť‘“. The lens is then placed in the interface between air and water inside a vessel (see figure). Calculate the refractive index for the glass and the distance below the water surface on which the image of a distant object will end up?
Relevant Equations
A thin lens has an upper radius of curvature đť‘…1 and a lower radius of curvature đť‘…2. When the lens is completely surrounded by air, it has a focal distance đť‘“. The lens is then placed in the interface between air and water inside a vessel (see figure). Calculate the refractive index for the glass and the distance below the water surface on which the image of a distant object will end up?
A thin lens has an upper radius of curvature đť‘…1 and a lower radius of curvature đť‘…2. When the lens is completely surrounded by air, it has a focal distance đť‘“. The lens is then placed in the interface between air and water inside a vessel (see figure). Calculate the refractive index for the glass and the distance below the water surface on which the image of a distant object will end up?

Skärmavbild 2019-12-04 kl. 22.25.29.png


The refractive index for water is given to nc = 1.33 and for air na = 1.00

My attempt:

IMG_0486-2.JPG


IMG_0487.JPG

Is my solution correct? I have nowhere to check the answer and I have not done any similar problem before. Have I missed something?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good to me. But, they might want you to express the final answer in terms of the givens: ##f##, ##R_1##, ##R_2##, ##n_{air}##, and ##n_{water}##.
 
TSny said:
Your work looks good to me. But, they might want you to express the final answer in terms of the givens: ##f##, ##R_1##, ##R_2##, ##n_{air}##, and ##n_{water}##.
I assumed the refractive index for water was given because I could not solve the problem without it. Can the problem be solved if one only knows the refractive index for air?
 
Karl Karlsson said:
I assumed the refractive index for water was given because I could not solve the problem without it. Can the problem be solved if one only knows the refractive index for air?
You can assume ##n_{water}## to be known. But since no numerical values are given in the statement of the problem, I don't think you will need to use a particular value for ##n_{water}##.

I think they want you to express your answers in terms of the symbol ##n_{water}## as well as the given symbols ##R_1##, ##R_2##, and ##f##. Here, ##f## is the focal length with air on both sides of the lens.

For the first question, you found the index of refraction of the glass in terms of these symbols and it looks right.

Your answer to the second question also looks correct to me. But I was wondering if you are expected to express your answer in terms of only the "given" symbols ##R_1##, ##R_2##, and ##f## (as well as ##n_{water}##). It could be that the way you expressed the answer is completely adequate. It depends on your instructor.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Karl Karlsson