Radius of helical motion in a magetic field

In summary, the radius of a charge entering a magnetic field at an angle x can be expressed as r=mv/qbsinx, where r is directly proportional to sinx. This means that as the angle x increases, the radius also increases. The formula is derived from combining the equations for force of charge in a magnetic field and centripetal force. However, for x=0, the radius would be zero as well, which may not make sense in this scenario.
wai1997401

Homework Statement

When the charge enters the magnetic feld at an angle x , how the radius can be expressed as?

Homework Equations

Force of charge in a magentic field = qvbsinx
centripetal force = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

when i combined the two equations above, i got r=mv/qbsinx,
but the question i did said the radius is directly proportional to sinx. What i have done wrong?Hope someone can help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me your answer is correct. What if the angle x = 0? What does your answer give for r for this case? Does it make sense?

What would r be for x = 0 if r were proportional to sinx? Would that make sense?

comment: 2) Force applied to the moving charge is q v B sinθ ... Force "of" the charge sounds like the charge is applying that Force.

If the Force is zero, the curvature is zero ... curvature is proportional to sinθ.
I hope you mis-read the question's "discussion".

but the angle x is a θ less then 90 degrees but bigger than 0 degree...the force applied is never 0

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The radius of the helical motion in a magnetic field can be expressed as r=mv/qbsinx, where m is the mass of the charge, v is its velocity, q is its charge, b is the strength of the magnetic field, and x is the angle at which the charge enters the field.

It is possible that the question meant to say that the radius is inversely proportional to sinx, rather than directly proportional. In that case, you would need to rearrange the equation to r=qbsinx/mv. However, without more context, it is difficult to say for sure if there is a mistake in the question or in your solution. It is always important to carefully read and interpret the given information in a question before attempting to solve it.

What is the radius of helical motion in a magnetic field?

The radius of helical motion in a magnetic field refers to the circular path that a charged particle takes when moving through a magnetic field. It is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, and the charge of the particle.

What factors affect the radius of helical motion in a magnetic field?

The radius of helical motion is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, and the charge of the particle. A stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius, while a higher velocity or greater charge will result in a larger radius.

How is the radius of helical motion calculated?

The radius of helical motion can be calculated using the formula r = mv/qB, where r is the radius, m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

Can the radius of helical motion be changed?

Yes, the radius of helical motion can be changed by altering the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, or the charge of the particle. In addition, the radius can also be affected by the angle at which the particle enters the magnetic field.

What is the significance of the radius of helical motion in a magnetic field?

The radius of helical motion is an important concept in understanding how charged particles behave in a magnetic field. It is used in various applications, such as particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also helps scientists study the properties of particles and the behavior of magnetic fields.