1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of helical motion in a magetic field

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When the charge enters the magnetic feld at an angle x , how the radius can be expressed as?

2. Relevant equations
    Force of charge in a magentic field = qvbsinx
    centripetal force = mv^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    when i combined the two equations above, i got r=mv/qbsinx,
    but the question i did said the radius is directly proportional to sinx. What i have done wrong?Hope someone can help me :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to me your answer is correct. What if the angle x = 0? What does your answer give for r for this case? Does it make sense?

What would r be for x = 0 if r were proportional to sinx? Would that make sense?

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

comment: 2) Force applied to the moving charge is q v B sinθ ... Force "of" the charge sounds like the charge is applying that Force.

If the Force is zero, the curvature is zero ... curvature is proportional to sinθ.
    I hope you mis-read the question's "discussion".

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4
    but the angle x is a θ less then 90 degrees but bigger than 0 degree...the force applied is never 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted