Radius of the electron and uncertainty

Main Question or Discussion Point

i thought that electrons are merely abstract thing or statistical entities, so i mitigated every attempt to visualize them as something that has a shape like a sphere, has a radius, internal structure,
i thought that any attempt to measure a radius (if any) could result in uncertainty in measuring so we will never know actual radius
until i found a lecturer talking about that there is a radius and electron can be visualized as small ball!!!
What is wrong in my understanding?

Answers and Replies

Yes, it can be a very small ball. Smaller than the classical electron now in fact.

And yes, Lloyd Motz has suggested that the radius and mass of a particle are effected by the uncertainty principle.

Yes, it can be a very small ball. Smaller than the classical electron now in fact.
How come we can talk about shape!!?, without talk about internal structure
i find difficulties in accepting this idea
i think we must migrate the idea of shape when talking about elementary particles wich are almost point-like

And yes, Lloyd Motz has suggested that the radius and mass of a particle are effected by the uncertainty principle.
this is a support to my idea that we can't talk about anything like shape, volume, density, since all of these values that subject to the uncertainty principle

Bill_K
Science Advisor
Insights Author
IWantToLearn, You are correct. An elementary particle like an electron is NOT a small ball. It's pointlike, which means its size (if it even has one) is too small to be observed.