Rail Gun using disposible camera's flash charger

In summary, the author tried to create a rail gun but had trouble getting the spark to jump across the two rails. He found a solution by using a piece of metal with plastic on the outside and touched the bolts on opposite sides. He also mentioned that he discharged the guns and made sure they were all working.
Stevedye56
Hey,
I made a rail gun that is 3" long with a disposible camera's flash charger. The one problem i had was that i couldn't get the spark to jump across the two rails. So i took a piece of metal with plastic on the outside and touched the bolts on opposite sides and got a large spark but not shock. Is there something i didnt do right?

This is the sight i used "www.geocities.com.nyud.net:8090/physicsthings/microrailgu.htm"[/URL]

I probably should mention that i did not have the negative wires separated like the guy said because i thought that was stupid and i would just wait until tomorrow to get a switch.

Also this might be helpful the capicitor I am using on the charging mechanism is 100uF and 330wv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so I got a spark with one capacitor which was the photo flash one that was allready on my charging board. My question now is should i just get three more of these same caps or could i use a 250v 470uF capacitor with three smaller 6.3v 3300uF capacitors, or is that just setting myself up for death?

My personal opinion here is that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, stay the hell away from it. It's the equivalent of someone with no knowledge of chemistry trying to make nitroglycerin in his bathtub. Considering that the thing can't even develop enough force to put a piece of pencil lead through a sheet of paper, but can deliver a lethal shock, it's not worth the risk to your personal well-being.

ok well they are all discharged i made sure of that i was just making sure of which ones to use, i know how to discharge them and wire them in a series, ill just go buy a few from a camera...

Rach3 said:
helo i allso won't too no were i kan git som off thes bigg capociters don't werry tho i no i kan us thom sefly ime verry smort

Is this an attempt at humor? becasue if it is it completely failed.:redface:

well its apparent i will get NO help so...

/thread

1. How does a rail gun using disposable camera's flash charger work?

A rail gun using disposable camera's flash charger works by using the stored energy in the flash capacitor to power the rail gun. When the camera's flash button is pressed, it discharges a high voltage current into the metal rails of the rail gun, creating a strong electromagnetic field. This field accelerates a conductive projectile along the rails, propelling it at high speeds.

2. Can any disposable camera be used for a rail gun?

No, not all disposable cameras have a flash capacitor that is powerful enough to power a rail gun. It is important to check the specifications of the disposable camera and make sure it has a high enough voltage output for the rail gun to work properly.

3. What is the maximum velocity that can be achieved with a rail gun using disposable camera's flash charger?

The maximum velocity of a projectile launched by a rail gun using disposable camera's flash charger depends on the strength of the electromagnetic field and the weight of the projectile. With a strong enough field and a lightweight projectile, velocities of up to 7 km/s have been achieved.

4. Are disposable camera's flash chargers safe to use for a rail gun?

While the use of disposable camera's flash chargers for a rail gun can be dangerous, as they involve high voltages, with proper precautions and safety measures, it can be relatively safe. It is important to wear protective gear and follow safety guidelines when building and using a rail gun.

5. How can a rail gun using disposable camera's flash charger be useful?

A rail gun using disposable camera's flash charger can have various applications, such as launching small satellites into orbit, propelling spacecraft, and even launching military projectiles. It is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional propulsion methods. Additionally, it can be used for scientific research and experimentation purposes.