Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rail Gun using disposible camera's flash charger

1. Dec 22, 2006 #1
    I made a rail gun that is 3" long with a disposible camera's flash charger. The one problem i had was that i couldnt get the spark to jump across the two rails. So i took a piece of metal with plastic on the outside and touched the bolts on opposite sides and got a large spark but not shock. Is there something i didnt do right?

This is the sight i used www.geocities.com.nyud.net:8090/physicsthings/microrailgu.htm

I probably should mention that i did not have the negative wires separated like the guy said because i thought that was stupid and i would just wait untill tomorrow to get a switch.

Also this might be helpful the capicitor im using on the charging mechanism is 100uF and 330wv.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2006 #2
    Ok so I got a spark with one capacitor which was the photo flash one that was allready on my charging board. My question now is should i just get three more of these same caps or could i use a 250v 470uF capacitor with three smaller 6.3v 3300uF capacitors, or is that just setting myself up for death?
  4. Dec 22, 2006 #3

Gold Member

My personal opinion here is that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, stay the hell away from it. It's the equivalent of someone with no knowledge of chemistry trying to make nitroglycerin in his bathtub. Considering that the thing can't even develop enough force to put a piece of pencil lead through a sheet of paper, but can deliver a lethal shock, it's not worth the risk to your personal well-being.
  5. Dec 23, 2006 #4
    ok well they are all discharged i made sure of that i was just making sure of which ones to use, i know how to discharge them and wire them in a series, ill just go buy a few from a camera....
  6. Dec 23, 2006 #5

Is this an attempt at humor? becasue if it is it completely failed.:redface:
  7. Dec 23, 2006 #6
    well its apparent i will get NO help so....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?