Troubleshooting a Homemade Rail Gun: Tips from an AP Physics Final Project

In summary, the rail gun is having trouble firing anything or even moving it. The best it has done is place aluminum foil across the top of the rails.
narayanjr
For my Final Project for my AP Physics class is a rail gun. But I am having trouble getting it to fire anything or even move it. I have no trouble charging the bank but when it is discharged into the rails the projectile doesn't move.

I am using 11, 330v disposable camera capacitors in parallel. I am using a thick piece of graphite as my projectile, but have also tested aluminum foil and brass. The best I have gotten was placing aluminum foil across the top of the rails instead of between them, when I discharged the bank into the rails the foil pops into the air but that's it.

The rails are the width of pencil lead apart about 5 inches long 1 inch wide, Bolted to a block of between 2 sheets of plexiglass and bolted to a block of wood.

I have tested with 11 capacitors and with 4 caps since most of the ones i have seen online only used 3-5 caps. Still only got a spark. The current seems to jump straight through the graphite and sparks but never moves. I've tested with the caps charged from 150 up to 310 but never get any movement.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I am sure I may have left out some important detail but can't think of anything else right now, any questions lmk. Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong with it? Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why does everyone assume that rail guns are easy to build. You will need much more than a hand full of flash capacitors to produce the desired current. Usually the projectiles melt or fuse to the rails before acquiring any appreciable speed. You need .1 Farad just to melt 1g of Aluminum at 300V and we haven't even moved the target or heated the rest of the rail. Any setup for a railgun that even shoots a short distance will kill you on contact. Build a gauss gun like everyone else those can be made at home.

This is a high current low voltage device.
Try just powering it with a car battery. Put a 12 volt lamp in series to limit the current.

I've seen one work well like this and it just used a small cart with wheels that had no tyres on them so the current flowed across the axle between the rails. Tended to spark a lot at the contact point with the rails so you had to keep cleaning the rails, but it was OK for a few runs.

Our one had a horse shoe magnet over and under the moving part. The effect is weaker without the magnet.

What is Lorentz force?

Lorentz force refers to the force that is exerted on a charged particle when it moves through an electric and magnetic field. It is named after physicist Hendrik Lorentz, who first described this phenomenon in the late 19th century.

How does Lorentz force impact a rail gun?

In a rail gun, Lorentz force is used to propel a projectile at high speeds. The electric current passing through the rails creates a magnetic field, and when a conductive projectile is placed between the rails, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. This force accelerates the projectile along the rails, allowing it to reach high velocities.

What are the advantages of using a rail gun over traditional guns?

Rail guns have several advantages over traditional guns. They do not require chemical propellants, making them more environmentally friendly. They also have a higher muzzle velocity, which results in longer range and higher accuracy. Additionally, rail guns have fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to maintain.

What are the limitations of rail guns?

One major limitation of rail guns is the high amount of energy required to power them. This makes them expensive to operate and limits their practical use. Additionally, the high acceleration and forces involved can cause significant wear and tear on the rails and other components, requiring frequent maintenance.

What are some potential applications of rail guns?

Rail guns have potential military applications, as they can launch projectiles at very high speeds, making them useful for long-range attacks. They could also be used for space exploration, as the lack of atmospheric resistance allows for even higher velocities. In addition, rail guns have been proposed for use in launching satellites and as a means of launching spacecraft into orbit.