Troubleshooting a Coil Gun Project Using a Disposable Camera Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making a coil gun and the problems encountered. The use of a disposable camera circuit with a capacitor and charging circuit is mentioned, but after charging the capacitor, nothing seems to work. The issue of not getting a magnetic field or launching the projectile is brought up, and the question of what could have been done wrong is posed. The importance of calculating the expected momentum and the need for high-capacity capacitors is mentioned. The conversation ends with the individual acknowledging the need to redo their calculations.
Link Floyd
I'm making a coil gun for a project, and ran into a few problems. I used a circuit from a disposable camera, which had a capacitor and charging circuit. I used two wires attached to the capacitor to connect the circuit to my solenoid.
However, after charging the capacitor, nothing seems to work. When I connect the wire from the solenoid to the one coming out of the circuit, I either get a spark, or nothing happens. I don't get any magnetic field, and my projectile doesn't launch. What could I have done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you calculated how much momentum you expect the coil gun to deliver? You need extremely high-capacity capacitors charged to extremely high voltages to get any results, since most of the capacitor's energy is wasted in heating the wires rather than delivering kinetic energy to the projectile.

Thanks for the reply. My calculations are giving me enough momentum to shoot the projectile, but I must have either made an error there or on the circuit. I'll redo those. Thanks.

1. How do I assemble the coil gun using a disposable camera circuit?

To assemble the coil gun, first remove the disposable camera's outer casing and carefully extract the circuit board. Then, connect the circuit to a power source and attach the coil to the output wires. Finally, secure the coil and circuit to a sturdy base and test the gun by inserting a projectile and activating the circuit.

2. Why is my coil gun not firing or functioning properly?

There could be several reasons why your coil gun is not firing or functioning properly. Check the connections between the circuit and the power source, as well as the wires between the circuit and the coil. Make sure that the coil is properly attached and that there are no loose or damaged components. If the issue persists, try testing the circuit with a multimeter to ensure that it is functioning correctly.

3. How can I increase the power and range of my coil gun using a disposable camera circuit?

To increase the power and range of your coil gun, you can try using a larger or more efficient coil. You can also experiment with different types of projectiles, such as stronger magnets or heavier objects. Additionally, you can try increasing the voltage or adding capacitors to the circuit to enhance the magnetic field and projectile speed.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when troubleshooting a coil gun project?

Some common mistakes to avoid when troubleshooting a coil gun project include incorrect wiring or connections, using a damaged or faulty circuit, and using improper components. It is also important to make sure that the coil and circuit are securely attached to a stable base, and to follow all safety precautions when testing the gun. Additionally, avoid overloading the circuit or using excessive voltage, as this can damage the components.

5. Can I use a disposable camera circuit for other projects besides a coil gun?

Yes, a disposable camera circuit can be repurposed for various other projects, such as a stun gun or a shocker. However, it is important to note that these projects should only be attempted by experienced individuals who understand the potential hazards and safety precautions involved. It is also important to properly dispose of any unused or damaged disposable cameras to avoid any potential environmental harm.