Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raising and lowering operators for spin

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    When we set the raising and lowering operators for spin to be [tex]S_{\pm} = S_x \pm i S_y[/tex], what convention are we following (i.e. why is the first term taken to be S_x and the second taken to be S_y)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

If we label the eigenstates of [itex]S_z[/itex] as [itex]|{+}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|{-}\rangle[/itex], so that [itex]S_z|{\pm}\rangle=\pm\frac12 |{\pm}\rangle[/itex], then
    That is, [itex]S_+[/itex] raises the value of [itex]S_z[/itex], and [itex]S_-[/itex] lowers it. That is how the raising and lowering operators are defined, and [itex]S_x \pm i S_y[/itex] is just what they work out to be.
  4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    It is the right hand convention.
    think about the angular momentum...
    it is defined mathematically L=R x P... it is a "right handed representation".
    We can of sure define that in left hand repr...
  5. Dec 7, 2007 #4
    I think that is a Math method.
    angular momentum: After "operate" with Math signals, Lz will be raised or lowered. (with operation L+=Lx+iLy)

If define [tex]L \pm = L_x \pm iL_y [/tex]
    When comute them:
    [tex][L_z ,L \pm ] = ... = \pm \hbar (L_x \pm iL_y )[/tex]
    (Griffiths D.J_Quantum Mechanics...)
    If define "left hand" the signal will become to convert.
    +- become -+
    That is not good!
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?