1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raising and lowering operators / spherical harmonics

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    This isn't exactly a part of any problem, but a part of a generic principle. I don't understand the use of raising and lowering operators.

[tex]L_{^+_-}=\hbar e^{^+_- i l \phi}({^+_-}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}+ i cot \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi})[/tex]

So how does one use [tex]L_{^+_-}Y_l^m[/tex] to gain [tex]Y_l^{m{^+_-}1}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you can use this definition to apply it to the general expression for the spherical harmonics. The general expression for an arbitrarty spherical harmonics can be found either in your textbook, or google it.

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    Do you mean that I simply:
    [tex]\hbar e^{^+_- i l \phi}({^+_-}\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \theta}+ i cot \theta \frac{\partial Y}{\partial \phi})[/tex]

But what happens to hbar? There isn't supposed to be any hbars in Y's?

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it is just a constant..

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you get it? [tex] \hbar [/tex] is only a multiplcative constant, same as [tex]e^{^+_- i l \phi}[/tex]. So you find out what the derivative operators does on the general spherical harmonic.

7. Nov 27, 2007 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

applying, say [itex] L_+ Y^l_m [/itex] does not give [itex] Y^l_{m+1} [/itex], it gives a constant times [itex] Y^l_{m+1} [/itex]. You may find the general constant in eq 4.121 of Griffiths, for example.

8. Nov 27, 2007 #7
    Yes, I think I understand it now.

Thank you both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?