Raising chickens from chicks to half grown

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
188 replies · 35K views
lisab said:
We are now down to one (very badass) hen, due to hawks :frown:. So today my husband and I finished putting netting over the whole chicken yard, about 50' X 20'.

The lone hen is now happily out in the open, under the safety of the netting. She hasn't been out like this in weeks. She'd been staying inside the shelter of the coop, or under some dense bushes.

Now that the area is safe from coyotes and hawks, we'll get more hens. I prefer to get adults. Chicks are cute, but I'd rather have eggs than cuteness.
Welcome to the club of hen loss. I only have one old hen left that lays occasionally. I plan on getting some chicks as soon as they arrive at TSC. I'll have cuteness and in about 5 months, eggs. I use to buy older hens at country sales but they were usually being sold because they were at the end of their productive lifes. I buy the red chickens as I like the large brown eggs.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Some new editions. This time I bought two white pullets. The other four are Road Island Reds.

Ufr8JXN.jpg


Iiflt51.jpg
 
AWWWW! I hope they fair better and are not fox and hawk snacks.
 
Get some silkies!
 
Attachments
  • silkie.jpg
    silkie.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 558
Evo said:
Get some silkies!

...and name them Tina I, Tina II, etc.

In honor of Tina Turner, circa 1985 :biggrin:.

http://rokpool.com/files/artist/JPEG_image_Tina_Turner.jpg?0

She's fantastic!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Get some silkies!

lisab said:
...and name them Tina I, Tina II, etc.

In honor of Tina Turner, circa 1985 :biggrin:.

http://rokpool.com/files/artist/JPEG_image_Tina_Turner.jpg?0

She's fantastic!
Awesome. I'll have to put some audio equipment in the coop so I can play them this. :approve:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7COj6PF6ftE
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Awesome. I'll have to put some audio equipment in the coop so I can play them this. :approve:

:!) that made my head move like a chicken's, haha!
 
Astronuc said:
Nice. But my chickens make big messes. Grain, feathers, and poop everywhere. I could never get away with cleaning only once per season. Stupid chickens.