Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ran into this differential equation, got stuck

1. Aug 14, 2013 #1
    Trying to make a calculation and I ran into the following diff equation:

r''=a+b/r^2

And I can't seem to remember how one would go about solving it.

b = 1355041.84
    r(0) = 1400
    r(t) = 239.6
    r'(o) = 0
    r'(t) = 75.2
    a = ?

I'm specifically looking to find the value of the constant a. If someone could drop off a quick solution that would be great! :smile:

(Note: this is part of an attempt to calculate the maximum acceleration of a starship from a video game cutscene as it approaches a small(is) object with a powerful gravity field)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "r'(t)= 75.2"? What value of "t"? "a" is just a parameter in the problem that has to be determined by additional information. Perhaps "r'(t)= 75.2" is that "additional information" but I don't understand what it means.

4. Aug 14, 2013 #3
    I don't know how long it took the ship to accelerate since the scene skips to the slingshot.

All I know is the distance traveled (from a starting distance of 1400km to a distance of slightly over 239.6km), the velocity of the ship as it reached the closer radius, the fact that the ship wasn't moving at t=0 and the fact that the gravity acceleration of the miniature sun it was slingshotting around was about 1355041.84/r^2.

That should be enough conditions to calculate a final answer, I just can't recall how to solve that kind of a differential equation.

[EDIT] Note that I'm not calculating the gravity slingshot maneuver that was preformed right after that approach, only the approach itself.

5. Aug 14, 2013 #4
    Nevermind, I just realized that I could calculate the whole thing via gravitational potential energy and hilariously enough the figure came out as higher than the speed of the ship itself...

Thanks anyway! ^_^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook