Random oceanography related mathematics

In summary, Scientists estimate that it would take 995 years, 251 days, and 20 hours for the entire Atlantic Ocean to circulate through deep water. This is based on the fact that the flow southward of the North Atlantic deep-water current is estimated to be 10 Sverdrups, and the volume of the Atlantic Ocean is 3.24 X 1017 meters3.
Dangshnizzle
Problem Given:

Scientists estimate that the flow southward of the North Atlantic deep-water current is 10 Sverdrups.
(A Sverdrup is 1 million meters3 per second)
If the volume of the Atlantic Ocean is 3.24 X 1017 meters3, how many years would be required for the entire Atlantic Ocean to circulate through deep water?

Please explain how you got your answer
Thanks in advance guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dangshnizzle said:
Please explain how you got your answer
Thanks in advance guys!
We can't do that. That's against the rules here. You have to show us whatever work you've tried first.

If you don't know what to do, consider this problem: I am driving a car 80 km/h. If I traveled 240 km, how much time did I take? To solve this, I would divide 240 km by 80 km/h to get 3 hours. You'll have to do something similar in your problem, but in addition, you will have to convert your answer from seconds to years.

Hahah, yeah yeah yeah. By the way, I simplified the problem already to leave out all the parts I have already done because I was not aware of this rule. But, okay so first , from here, I would divide the volume of the Atlantic that I got by a million. Get 314 billion. That should be the number of Sverdrups it would need to go through to move the whole ocean. But don't you need to divided that again, by ten? Getting the number those particular currents will require? Next I need to know seconds to a year. Now can you finish it for me?:D

Okay kept going and pretty sure the answer is that all of the Atlantic Ocean can be moved through these deep currents in 995 years, 251 days, 20 hours, and 24 minutes ;)

Dangshnizzle said:
Okay kept going and pretty sure the answer is that all of the Atlantic Ocean can be moved through these deep currents in 995 years, 251 days, 20 hours, and 24 minutes ;)

Probably close enough. I wouldn't worry about the days, minutes and seconds. I would would worry about how you started with 324 divided by a power of 10 and got 314. Typo?

1. What is the significance of the Coriolis effect in oceanography?

The Coriolis effect is a result of the Earth's rotation and is responsible for the deflection of ocean currents and winds. It plays a crucial role in determining the direction of ocean circulation and can also impact the distribution of nutrients and marine life in the ocean.

2. How are tides calculated using mathematical models?

Tides are primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on Earth's oceans. Mathematical models, such as the harmonic analysis method, use historical data on tidal heights and times to predict future tides. These models also take into account other factors such as the Earth's rotation and the shape of the ocean basin.

3. What role does mathematics play in understanding ocean currents?

Mathematics is essential in the study of ocean currents as it helps us understand the complex dynamics of these movements. Mathematical models, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, are used to simulate and predict ocean currents, which provide valuable insights into their behavior and potential impacts on marine ecosystems.

4. How do scientists use statistics in oceanography?

Statistics is a crucial tool in oceanography, as it allows scientists to analyze and interpret data collected from various sources, such as satellite observations, buoys, and shipboard measurements. Statistical analysis helps identify patterns and trends in oceanographic data, providing valuable information for understanding ocean processes and predicting future changes.

5. How are sea level rise projections calculated using mathematics?

Mathematical models, such as the sea level equation, are used to predict future sea level rise based on factors such as melting glaciers, thermal expansion of seawater, and changes in land ice. These models combine data from various sources, including satellite measurements and numerical simulations, to provide projections of sea level rise over time.