Random thoughts on Fibonnacci sequence

• Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
Why nature has a lot of application of fibonacci sequence
I mean why the number of spirals in the head of sunflower always has to be a memeber of fibonacci sequence, why pinecones displays similar patterns and many more examples.

Do we really know the answer?
I mean is this question is similar to asking why planets,objects follows newtons law?
I think answers to all such question can only be given by nature, i think we as a science enthusiast are here to search the answers for how nature describes something instead of why she described it that way, because thats her beauty
What are your views?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It's natural.

I mean why the number of spirals in the head of sunflower always has to be a memeber of fibonacci sequence, why pinecones displays similar patterns and many more examples.

Do we really know the answer?
I mean is this question is similar to asking why planets,objects follows newtons law?
I think answers to all such question can only be given by nature, i think we as a science enthusiast are here to search the answers for how nature describes something instead of why she described it that way, because thats her beauty
What are your views?
@Dale

lewando
Homework Helper
Gold Member
...I mean is this question is similar to asking why planets,objects follows newtons law?
I think its the other way around. Planets and objects are generally unaware of Newton.

I think answers to all such question can only be given by nature
If you mean by studying nature, I agree.

i think we as a science enthusiast are here to search the answers for how nature describes something instead of why she described it that way, because thats her beauty...
I'm not sure nature does a lot of describing. Nature provides a lot of examples. It is us that do the describing-- a distinctly human character flaw.:wink: