Random variate X follows a normal distribution

In summary: All your "standard" distributions whether they are continuous (ie normal, gamma, student-t, etc) or discrete (ie binomial, geometric etc) have explicit formulas for the probability density function. When you learn these probability functions, try to understand what assumptions have been made to derive the pdfs. Some distributions have different uses like the normal, which is used in the central limit theorem, or the limit of a sampling distribution, as well as something which conveniently explains...In summary, In this conversation, the expert provides a summary of the content. They explain that a random variate X follows a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance 1. They give the Y values for X=2X+4 and find that E[
TomJerry
Question :
Random variate X follows a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance 1 i.e.X~N(0,1). Given Y = 2X + 4, find
i) E[Y]
ii) Var(Y)
iii) E[X^3]

Solution:

here E[X'] = 0 and V(X) = 1

i) E[Y] = E[2X+4] = 4 [Is this correct]

ii) Var(Y) = E[Y2] - [E(Y)]2

=E[Y2] -16

Now

E[Y2] = E[(2X+4)2]

= E[(4x2 + 16x + 16]

= 4 E[x2] + 16 E[x] + 16

= 4 E[x2] + 0 + 16

Stuck here ...how to evaluate E[x2]

Physics news on Phys.org
TomJerry said:
Question :
Random variate X follows a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance 1 i.e.X~N(0,1). Given Y = 2X + 4, find
i) E[Y]
ii) Var(Y)
iii) E[X^3]

Solution:

here E[X'] = 0 and V(X) = 1

i) E[Y] = E[2X+4] = 4 [Is this correct]

ii) Var(Y) = E[Y2] - [E(Y)]2

=E[Y2] -16

Now

E[Y2] = E[(2X+4)2]

= E[(4x2 + 16x + 16]

= 4 E[x2] + 16 E[x] + 16

= 4 E[x2] + 0 + 16

Stuck here ...how to evaluate E[x2]

I was able to figure out E[X^2] = 1 now i am stuck with getting the iii) question

E[X^3] how should i do this ..

You should post homework questions in the homework section.
If you know the mean is zero, the distribution is symmetric about zero, so ...

statdad said:
You should post homework questions in the homework section.
If you know the mean is zero, the distribution is symmetric about zero, so ...

Sorry for that , but since i have already posted it , could you please guide me on how to solve the last one

ie E[X^3] = ?

TomJerry said:
Sorry for that , but since i have already posted it , could you please guide me on how to solve the last one

ie E[X^3] = ?

Do you know the general definition of E[f(X)]? You are given the distribution so you should know the probability density function. Based on how E[f(X)] is defined, can you figure out how to calculate E[X^3]?

chiro said:
Do you know the general definition of E[f(X)]? You are given the distribution so you should know the probability density function. Based on how E[f(X)] is defined, can you figure out how to calculate E[X^3]?

Hey chiro,

I know that its mean is 0 that means xf(x) = 0 ...please help me with this...

TomJerry said:
Hey chiro,

I know that its mean is 0 that means xf(x) = 0 ...please help me with this...

As you probably know you have either discrete, continuous, or mixed (ie sometimes discrete and sometimes continuous) distributions.

The normal is continuous so let's focus on this, but the idea is easily seen with discrete when you grasp the core idea.

As you have said the mean is the integral over the whole domain ie (-infinity,infinity) which is

Integral [x . f(x) dx] over the whole real line (or the domain of the random variable, whatever is smaller).

The expectation of a function of x, where the function is g(x) is given by

Integral [g(x) . f(x) dx] over the whole real line

With your mean E[X] the g(X) is simply X which is why the mean is given by x . f(x).

So using the general formula, with a specific case of g(X) = X^3 we use formula

Integral [g(X) . f(X) dx] = Integral [x^3 . f(x)] dx over the whole real line.

f(x) is your pdf which you can get from a stats book, wiki site etc.

The rest is simply integration that you have learned in Calculus I and II.

You can actually find E[X^n] where n is a natural number using moments as well, but for now you need to stick to the basics and find things from first principles.

chiro said:
As you probably know you have either discrete, continuous, or mixed (ie sometimes discrete and sometimes continuous) distributions.

f(x) is your pdf which you can get from a stats book, wiki site etc.

The rest is simply integration that you have learned in Calculus I and II.

You can actually find E[X^n] where n is a natural number using moments as well, but for now you need to stick to the basics and find things from first principles.

Thanks ,
but my real concern is how will i get f(x) since i only know mean which is 0
so what i can do is f(x) = 0 and nothing else but not sure that the right way to go.

TomJerry said:
Thanks ,
but my real concern is how will i get f(x) since i only know mean which is 0
so what i can do is f(x) = 0 and nothing else but not sure that the right way to go.

All your "standard" distributions whether they are continuous (ie normal, gamma, student-t, etc) or discrete (ie binomial, geometric etc) have explicit formulas for the probability density function.

When you learn these probability functions, try to understand what assumptions have been made to derive the pdfs. Some distributions have different uses like the normal, which is used in the central limit theorem, or the limit of a sampling distribution, as well as something which conveniently explains a lot of natural phenomena.

Something like the binomial or geometric has assumptions which are used to derive the pdf. For example the binomial has N trials with only two outcomes. The big assumption being independence that you get from your probability axioms (ie P(A and B) = P(A)P(B)) helps define the pdf.

Like I said for standard distributions, any statistics book, math site (like Wolfram), or wiki page will have the pdf, and like I said each distribution has a specific purpose depending on the statistics and which area of statistics is involved. To get an idea of why the distribution is used again consult a stats book, ask your lecturer a question, look up the wiki page, or ask a question in the forums.

So to answer your question for f(x) look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

tomjerry, you need to show what YOU have tried on a particular homework problem: do not attempt to wheedle solutions from others.

If you understand the normal distribution, think again about the implication of [tex] \mu = 0 [/tex].

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a bell-shaped curve that represents the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It is symmetrical and approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation from the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations.

2. How do you know if a random variable follows a normal distribution?

There are a few ways to determine if a random variable follows a normal distribution, including graphical methods such as a histogram or a Q-Q plot, and statistical tests such as the Anderson-Darling test or the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test.

3. What are the characteristics of a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is characterized by its mean, median, and mode being equal and located at the center of the curve. It also has a standard deviation that determines the spread of the data. The distribution is symmetrical and has a total area of 1 under the curve.

4. Why is the normal distribution important in statistics?

The normal distribution is important in statistics because it is a common and useful distribution that can be used to model many natural phenomena. It also has several desirable properties, such as being mathematically tractable and having well-defined probabilities for different intervals of the data.

5. Can a random variable follow a normal distribution with any mean and standard deviation?

Yes, a random variable can follow a normal distribution with any mean and standard deviation. This is because the normal distribution is a family of distributions, and different values of mean and standard deviation can produce different curves within this family.