Range of a cannon using trigonometry?

In summary, trigonometry is used to calculate the height and distance of a projectile launched from a cannon, which helps determine its range. The key factors that affect the range of a cannon are the initial velocity, launch angle, and force of gravity. While the range can also be calculated using basic physics equations, trigonometry provides a more accurate and efficient method. The angle of elevation greatly affects the range, with a higher angle resulting in a longer range. Additionally, air resistance has an impact on the range, with higher air resistance leading to a shorter range due to decreased horizontal velocity.
Futurestar33

Homework Statement

I am just stuck on a step in my problem , I have found the solution but have been attempting rearrange the equation but I just don't get it. Its probably a simple step

Homework Equations

0=x[(tanα-tanθ)-(gx/2Vo^2Cos^2(α)]

then this forms into this

x=(tanα-tanθ/g)(2Vo^2Cos^2(α))

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you get the X to the other side. There is a parentheses next to the x so you can divide anything out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I figured it out. Easy lol

1. How does trigonometry help determine the range of a cannon?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. By using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, we can calculate the height and distance of a projectile launched from a cannon, which helps determine its range.

2. What are the key factors that affect the range of a cannon?

The key factors that affect the range of a cannon are the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity.

3. Can the range of a cannon be calculated without using trigonometry?

Yes, the range of a cannon can also be calculated using basic physics equations such as the kinematic equations. However, trigonometry provides a more accurate and efficient method of calculation.

4. How does the angle of elevation affect the range of a cannon?

The angle of elevation, which is the angle at which the cannon is tilted upwards, greatly affects the range of a cannon. A higher angle of elevation will result in a longer range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter range.

5. Is the range of a cannon affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance does have an impact on the range of a cannon. The higher the air resistance, the shorter the range will be. This is because air resistance slows down the projectile, decreasing its horizontal velocity and therefore reducing its range.