1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of value to satisfy sufficient and necessary condition

1. Nov 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let
    p: x and y satisfy inequality x2 + y2 + 4x - 8y + c < 0 where c is real number
    q: x and y satisfy x - y + 8 > 0 ; 4x + 3y - 24 < 0 ; y < 0

Find the range of c so that:
    a. p is sufficient condition for q
    b. p is necessary condition for q

2. Relevant equations
    Circle
    Inequality

3. The attempt at a solution
    p is the region inside circle (excluding circumference), centered at (-2, 4) and has radius of √(20 - c)

q is the infinite region bounded by two lines and x - axis

I want to ask whether my opinion is correct:
    a. For p to be sufficient condition for q, region q should be located inside the circle
    b. For p to be necessary condition for q, the circle should be inside the region of q

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's the other way around.
    'p is sufficient for q' means ##p\Rightarrow q## which should mean that ##p\subseteq q##.

4. Nov 1, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

'p' is the interior of a circle with radius depending on c, 'q' is the region between two intersecting lines and below the y-axis . 'if p then q' (p is a sufficient condition for q) says that if (x,y) is in the circle it must be in the region between the lines- the circle must be a subset of the region. 'if q then p' (p is a necessary condition for q) says that if (x, y) is in the region it must be a in the circle- the region is a subset of the circle. But since the region between the line extends infinitely, that does not see, possible for any 'c'. If the last condition were "y> 0", then it would be a bounded triangular region.

5. Nov 1, 2015 #4
    I get it.

Thanks a lot for all the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted