Range of values in regards to quadratics and discriminant

  • Thread starter Thread starter ybhathena
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Range
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ybhathena
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine the range of values of the constant a so that the solution of ax^2+2ax+3>=0 (when a >0) is all real numbers



Homework Equations



D = b^2-4ac


The Attempt at a Solution



The discriminant is 0, 3. I need to know how to arrange them to get the range. The range is 0<a<=3 in the answers. How do I get it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ybhathena said:

Homework Statement



Determine the range of values of the constant a so that the solution of ax^2+2ax+3>=0 (when a >0) is all real numbers



Homework Equations



D = b^2-4ac


The Attempt at a Solution



The discriminant is 0, 3.
No, the discriminant is 4a2 - 12a. What do your two values have to do with the discriminant? (I know, but I am trying to get you to be accurate in what you say.)
ybhathena said:
I need to know how to arrange them to get the range. The range is 0<a<=3 in the answers. How do I get it?