Quadratic discriminant with tricky algebra

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the quadratic discriminant in solving equations. The first part involved finding the discriminant for a given equation, with some confusion arising from a misprint in the second equation. The second part involved using the discriminant to solve a more complex equation, with some difficulty encountered but eventually resolved.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

Capture.png

Homework Equations

Quadratic discriminant

The Attempt at a Solution

I did b^2 -4ac>=0, but the algebra becomes prohibitively difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

Capture.png

Homework Equations

Quadratic discriminant

The Attempt at a Solution

I did b^2 -4ac>=0, but the algebra becomes prohibitively difficult.

Sometimes there are just no shortcuts, and lengthy algebra cannot be avoided. That being said, I am not sure the result sought is correct; in particular, in your second equation you have a constant ##d## appearing in it, but there is no ##d## in the first equation.

I got something like
ab-4ac-ad+bc+bd-cd but I can't seem to work around that.

In the second equation there is a misprint
The correct equation is
(a+c-b)x2-2(a-c)x+(a+c+b) = 0
The proof is not difficult. Just find the discriminant.

sooyong94 said:
I got something like
ab-4ac-ad+bc+bd-cd but I can't seem to work around that.

What about the issue I raised? There is a ##d## in the second equation, but no ##d## in the first one. The relation between ##a,b,c## arising from the first equation does not involve any ##d## at all.

Irene Kaminkowa said:
In the second equation there is a misprint
The correct equation is
(a+c-b)x2-2(a-c)x+(a+c+b) = 0
The proof is not difficult. Just find the discriminant.
Thanks - I guess there's a misprint in my book after all.

Strangely enough I got -b^2 -4ac, which isn't right.

Update - I found an algebraic slip in my working.

I have managed to work the first part - but I don't have a clue on tackle the second part.

Update - I managed to work this out.

Last edited:

1. What is the quadratic discriminant formula?

The quadratic discriminant formula is given by Δ = b² - 4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in a quadratic equation of the form ax² + bx + c = 0.

2. How do you use the quadratic discriminant formula to find the nature of the roots?

If Δ > 0, the roots are real and distinct, if Δ = 0, the roots are real and equal, and if Δ < 0, the roots are complex conjugates.

3. Can the quadratic discriminant formula be used for any degree of polynomial equation?

No, the quadratic discriminant formula is only applicable for quadratic equations of the form ax² + bx + c = 0.

4. What is meant by "tricky algebra" in the context of quadratic discriminant?

"Tricky algebra" refers to the manipulation and simplification of equations involving quadratic discriminant, where one may have to use techniques such as completing the square or factoring to find the roots of a quadratic equation.

5. How can the quadratic discriminant formula be useful in real-world applications?

The quadratic discriminant formula is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving quadratic equations. It can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a quadratic function, determine the nature of a projectile's trajectory, or analyze profit and loss in business.