1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio of translational velocity to rotational velocity.

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. A ball of mass m and radius R is both sliding and spinning on a horizontal surface so
    that its rotational kinetic energy equals its translational kinetic energy.What is the ratio of the ball’s center-of-mass speed to the speed due to rotation only of a point on the ball’s surface? The moment of inertia of the ball is 0.56mR2 .

(For ease, I will refer to omega as w from here on out)

2. Relevant equations

KE = .5(I)(w)2 = .5mv2

3. The attempt at a solution

So if I understand it correctly the problem basically wants the ratio of linear velocity to rotational velocity, v to w. So, I set .5Iw2 = 1/2mv2

From here, I plugged in the given moment of inertia of the ball.

.5(.56mR2)(w)2 = .5mv2

Then I cancelled out the .5 and the m,

.56R2w2 = v2

Square rooted both sides,

sqrt(.56)Rw = v

but from here I am unsure of how I could possibly eliminate the R, and this causes big problems when finding a ratio. Any suggestions? Did I go wrong somewhere prior to this point? If I could just get that R, it should be easy I would think, but its a variable...
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read the problem carefully. You are looking for the ratio of the speed of the center of mass to the speed of a point on the surface of the sphere. The latter quantity is not ω; it is a linear speed (in m/s) so the final answer must be a dimensionless quantity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook