Rational expressions very simble, but hard for me

In summary, rational expressions are mathematical expressions that contain fractions with variables in the numerator and denominator. To simplify them, one must factor and cancel out common factors before simplifying any remaining fractions or terms. They differ from equations in that they do not have an equal sign. Rational expressions have various real-life applications, including solving ratios, proportions, and rates of change in fields like finance and engineering. In science, understanding rational expressions is important for accurately interpreting and analyzing data.
physicsed
[tex] \frac{5x-5y-bx+by}{5x-5y+bx-by} [/tex]

i can't cancel anything

i can't factor anything

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
5x-5y=5(x-y)
do the same with b

but the b's (x and y) doesn't cancel since they have two different signs

-bx+by=(-b)(x-y). (x-y) IS a factor of both the numerator and the denominator.

1. What are rational expressions?

Rational expressions are mathematical expressions that contain fractions with variables in the numerator and denominator. They are often used to represent relationships between quantities.

2. How do I simplify rational expressions?

To simplify rational expressions, first factor both the numerator and denominator. Then, cancel out any common factors. Finally, simplify any remaining fractions or terms.

3. What is the difference between rational expressions and equations?

Rational expressions are mathematical expressions that contain fractions, while equations are mathematical statements that show the equality of two expressions. In other words, equations have an equal sign, while rational expressions do not.

4. How are rational expressions used in real life?

Rational expressions can be used to solve real-world problems, such as calculating ratios, proportions, and rates of change. They are also commonly used in finance and engineering.

5. Why are rational expressions important to learn in science?

Rational expressions are commonly used in scientific calculations and equations. They allow scientists to represent complex relationships and make predictions based on data. Understanding rational expressions is crucial for accurately interpreting and analyzing scientific data.