The roots of x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0

• Thread starter mathnovice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the roots of a polynomial, specifically x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 + 6 = 0. The method of substitution and factoring is used to find the real roots, but the question arises about finding the complex roots. The concept of complex numbers is explained and examples are given to find the complex roots of -1. The conversation ends with the poster expressing their motivation to learn more about complex numbers for their future studies in engineering.
mathnovice
[Thread moved to homework forum by a Mentor]
the exercise was to find the roots of x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0

I substituded x^2 with y
: y^4 - 5y^3 + 7y^2 - 5y +6=0

I factored this by doing the rational roots test and trying those possible roots with the method of horner

and got (y-2) (y-3)(y^2+1)=0

with y=x^2 ---> (x^2-2) (x^2-3)(x^4+1)=0

i found the roots ±√2 , ±√3. which is correct and the answer on the back says these are the 2 anwsers. but (x^4+1) remains --> what are the 2 complex roots? how do I change 4^√-1 in a notation with i?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]x^4+ 1= 0[/itex] is, of course, the same as [itex]x^4= -1[/itex] so the solutions are the four fourth roots of -1. You can find them using DeMoivres theorem: The nth roots of [itex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex] are [itex]r^{1/n}(cos(\frac{1}{n}(\theta+ 2k\pi)+ isin(\theta+ 2k\pi))[/itex] where k runs from 0 to n- 1.

Here, r= 1 and [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex].

Ah, and welcome to PF, dear mathnovice :smile: ! Good attitude to ask a little more !It's a fourth order, so you in fact expect four solutions !

Given that ##i^2 = -1## you are left with solving ##x^2 = i ## or ##x^2 = -i ##

Now it becomes a little weirder: one solution for the first one is ##x = {1\over \sqrt 2}(1+i) ## !

Check by writing out: ##x^2 = {1\over 2}(1+i)(1+i) = {1\over 2}(1^2+2i+i^2) = {1\over 2}(1+2i-1) = i##

I could go on, but maybe you would like to find the other three solutions by yourself ?

Then draw the solutions in a Cartesian coordinate system where instead of x and y you have the real part of x (so ##{1\over \sqrt 2}## in my example ) horizontally and the imaginary part of x vertically. Welcome to the world of imaginary numbers !

mathnovice said:
[Thread moved to homework forum by a Mentor]
the exercise was to find the roots of x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0

I substituded x^2 with y
: y^4 - 5y^3 + 7y^2 - 5y +6=0

I factored this by doing the rational roots test and trying those possible roots with the method of horner

and got (y-2) (y-3)(y^2+1)=0

with y=x^2 ---> (x^2-2) (x^2-3)(x^4+1)=0

i found the roots ±√2 , ±√3. which is correct and the answer on the back says these are the 2 anwsers. but (x^4+1) remains --> what are the 2 complex roots? how do I change 4^√-1 in a notation with i?

To amplify a bit on what others have told you: we can immediately find two 4th roots of ##-1## by noting that
[tex] -1 = e^{\pm i \pi} \Longrightarrow (-1)^{1/4} = e^{\pm i \pi/4} = \frac{1 \pm i}{\sqrt{2} }[/tex]
However, if ##r## is a fourth root of ##-1## then so is ##r^3##; do you see why? This gives us two other fourth roots
[tex] e^{\pm 3 i \pi/4} = \frac{? \pm i \,?}{?} [/tex]
You can fill in the remaining details.

Last edited:
mathnovice said:
how do I change 4^√-1 in a notation with i?
With this wording, I expect the poster to be helped with an explanation at an introductory level. Dear novice, did the replies make you any wiser ?

Everybody thanks for the replies. I am now improving my knowledge about complex numbers first and will then tackle this problem. But it did motivate me to discover the whole subjet of complex numbers, as I just find out complex numbers are also used in engineering applications and that's my goal for improving my mathknowledge ( I'm going to study engineering at university next year )

1. What is the degree of the polynomial equation "x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0"?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest exponent of the variable. In this case, the degree is 8.

2. How many solutions does the equation "x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0" have?

According to the fundamental theorem of algebra, a polynomial equation of degree n has n complex solutions. Therefore, this equation has 8 solutions.

3. Can the roots of "x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0" be simplified?

The roots of a polynomial equation cannot be simplified unless they contain complex numbers. In this case, the roots may be simplified if they contain imaginary numbers.

4. How can the equation "x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0" be solved?

There are various methods for solving polynomial equations, such as factoring, synthetic division, and using the quadratic formula. However, for an equation of degree 8, it may be more efficient to use a computer or graphing calculator to find the solutions.

5. What is the significance of the equation "x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0" in mathematics?

This equation is a polynomial with a high degree, which makes it a good example for studying the properties and behavior of polynomials. It also demonstrates the fundamental theorem of algebra and the concept of complex solutions.