1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The roots of x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    [Thread moved to homework forum by a Mentor]
    the exercise was to find the roots of x^8 - 5x^6 + 7x^4 - 5x^2 +6=0

I substituded x^2 with y
    : y^4 - 5y^3 + 7y^2 - 5y +6=0

I factored this by doing the rational roots test and trying those possible roots with the method of horner

and got (y-2) (y-3)(y^2+1)=0

with y=x^2 ---> (x^2-2) (x^2-3)(x^4+1)=0

i found the roots ±√2 , ±√3. which is correct and the answer on the back says these are the 2 anwsers. but (x^4+1) remains --> what are the 2 complex roots? how do I change 4^√-1 in a notation with i?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]x^4+ 1= 0[/itex] is, of course, the same as [itex]x^4= -1[/itex] so the solutions are the four fourth roots of -1. You can find them using DeMoivres theorem: The nth roots of [itex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex] are [itex]r^{1/n}(cos(\frac{1}{n}(\theta+ 2k\pi)+ isin(\theta+ 2k\pi))[/itex] where k runs from 0 to n- 1.

Here, r= 1 and [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex].

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, and welcome to PF, dear mathnovice :smile: ! Good attitude to ask a little more !

It's a fourth order, so you in fact expect four solutions !

Given that ##i^2 = -1## you are left with solving ##x^2 = i ## or ##x^2 = -i ##

Now it becomes a little weirder: one solution for the first one is ##x = {1\over \sqrt 2}(1+i) ## !

Check by writing out: ##x^2 = {1\over 2}(1+i)(1+i) = {1\over 2}(1^2+2i+i^2) = {1\over 2}(1+2i-1) = i##

I could go on, but maybe you would like to find the other three solutions by yourself ?

Then draw the solutions in a Cartesian coordinate system where instead of x and y you have the real part of x (so ##{1\over \sqrt 2}## in my example ) horizontally and the imaginary part of x vertically. Welcome to the world of imaginary numbers !

5. Sep 5, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To amplify a bit on what others have told you: we can immediately find two 4th roots of ##-1## by noting that
    [tex] -1 = e^{\pm i \pi} \Longrightarrow (-1)^{1/4} = e^{\pm i \pi/4} = \frac{1 \pm i}{\sqrt{2} }[/tex]
    However, if ##r## is a fourth root of ##-1## then so is ##r^3##; do you see why? This gives us two other fourth roots
    [tex] e^{\pm 3 i \pi/4} = \frac{? \pm i \,?}{?} [/tex]
    You can fill in the remaining details.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. Sep 5, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With this wording, I expect the poster to be helped with an explanation at an introductory level. Dear novice, did the replies make you any wiser ?

7. Sep 7, 2015 #6
    Everybody thanks for the replies. I am now improving my knowledge about complex numbers first and will then tackle this problem. But it did motivate me to discover the whole subjet of complex numbers, as I just find out complex numbers are also used in engineering applications and that's my goal for improving my mathknowledge ( I'm going to study engineering at university next year )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted