Rational vs. Polynomial Functions

They had 3 homework problems, and their classmates could not understand why the book answered them the way it did. The question asks to state whether the given functions are Rational, Polynomial, Neither, or Both. From Lizardjuice7's understanding, the second function is rational and the third function is neither rational nor a polynomial. The first function is considered both in the book, which they discussed in class but could not make sense of.
Lizardjuice7
In my calc class we are reviewing rational and polynomial functions before we start with the actual calculus part of the course.

In my book we had 3 problems that we had to do for homework and none of my classmates could understand why the book answered them a certain way.

Question:

State whether the functions below are Rational, Polynomial, Neither, or Both.

1. f(x)=3x2+2x+1

2. f(x)=(2x2+4x)/(x-1)

3. f(x)=(x-1)1/2From what I understand a rational function needs to have a fraction bar in it, so number two is rational. Number 3 is raised to the 1/2 power so it is neither. Not rational nor a polynomial. I thought that number one would just be a polynomial, but my teacher's book says it is both. We discussed it in class and couldn't make sense of it.

If someone could explain to me what the functions above are that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of a rational function is any function that satisfies/can be expressed as

[tex]f(x)=\frac{P(x)}{Q(x)}[/tex]

So when thinking whether (3) is rational or not, think about what happens if [itex]Q(x)=1[/itex] in this definition.

Lizardjuice7, your thinking is fine. Actually a book I have states that monomials can be polynomials (seems strange), giving credibility to jeffreydk's justification.

Thanks,

That really helps a lot!

Lizardjuice7

1. What is the difference between rational and polynomial functions?

Rational functions are functions that can be represented as a ratio of two polynomials, while polynomial functions are functions that are made up of multiple terms with non-negative integer exponents. In other words, rational functions have a fraction in their equation, while polynomial functions do not.

2. How do you identify a rational or polynomial function?

To identify a rational function, look for a fraction in the function's equation. The numerator and denominator should both be polynomials. To identify a polynomial function, look for multiple terms with non-negative integer exponents in the function's equation.

3. What are some real-life applications of rational and polynomial functions?

Rational functions are commonly used in finance and economics to model things like interest rates and stock prices. Polynomial functions are used in physics and engineering to represent real-world phenomena such as motion and growth.

4. Can a rational function also be a polynomial function?

No, a rational function cannot also be a polynomial function because a rational function must have a fraction in its equation, while a polynomial function does not.

5. What is the degree of a rational or polynomial function?

The degree of a rational function is determined by the highest degree of its numerator and denominator polynomials. The degree of a polynomial function is determined by the highest exponent in its equation.