How to simplify a fraction with a square root in the numerator?

• Thread starter elie_girl
  • Start date
In summary, to rationalize the numerator, you must multiply both the top and bottom of the fraction by the conjugate of the numerator, which is obtained by changing the sign of the non-surd part. In the conversation, the question was specifically about rationalizing the numerator of the expression sqrt(5)+3/-4sqrt(7). One person provided a step-by-step explanation and the answer as -(sqrt(5)+3*sqrt(7)/28). Another person clarified that the numerator was not fully rationalized and provided further instructions. The conversation then continued with more questions and clarifications.
elie_girl
Rationalize the numerator

sqrt(5)+3/-4sqrt(7)

The answer I got for this was -(sqrt(5)+3*sqrt(7)/28) and it marked it as wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you rationalised the denominator instead of the numerator...

How do I rationalize the numerator?

Almost the exact same way you normally rationalise the denominator. The difference is that this time you multiply both top and bottom with the conjugate of the numerator.

That should be right, although I do make a lot of mistakes usually :p

1. You multiply the top and the bottom by the same value that you are trying to rationalise, except the non-surd part of the expression needs to be turned from a positive to negative, this way the two square roots create an integer, and the surd disappears.

2. you simplify :)

Attachments

• Maths.jpg
    Maths.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 446
So then would the answer be (sqrt(5)+3sqrt(7))/14 ?

elie_girl said:
So then would the answer be (sqrt(5)+3sqrt(7))/14 ?

No, sorry.

Rationalise means get rid of all the square roots. And Numerator means the top of the fraction, and you have not got rid of the square roots on the top of the fraction

You get rid of a square root by squaring it, then it turns into an integer.

If you want to rationalise [sqrt(A) + B] then you multiply it by [sqrt(A) - B]

note the negative 'B'

When you are doing this with a fraction, multiply the top and the bottom by the same value (so you can keep the overall value the same).

I did this step-by-step in the picture I attached with my last post, it ended with the final answer as well.

Do you have any more questions? I'm glad to help.

Oh ok, I think I get it now. Thanks very much!

Please rationalize root (x plus 4) - 2 divided by x

What does it mean to "rationalize the numerator" in a mathematical expression?

Rationalizing the numerator means simplifying or rearranging the terms in the top part of a fraction to make it easier to work with. This typically involves getting rid of any radical or irrational numbers in the numerator.

Why is it important to rationalize the numerator?

Rationalizing the numerator can make it easier to perform operations on fractions and can help make the expression more simplified and elegant. It can also be necessary when working with certain mathematical formulas or equations.

How do you rationalize the numerator in a fraction with a radical in the numerator?

To rationalize the numerator in a fraction with a radical, you would multiply both the numerator and denominator by the radical. This will result in a new fraction with a rational numerator.

Can you rationalize the numerator in a fraction with a variable in the numerator?

Yes, you can rationalize the numerator in a fraction with a variable. You would follow the same steps as you would with a fraction with a radical, but you may need to simplify further if the variable has an exponent.

Are there any cases where you should not rationalize the numerator?

There is no strict rule about when to rationalize the numerator, but in some cases, it may not be necessary or helpful. For example, if the expression is already simplified or if the radical in the numerator is part of a larger expression that cannot be simplified further.