1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ray Tracing and Combination of Lenses

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    I was looking at this problem.
    Does the problem assume that the focal point of the divergent lens is right next to it?
    The answer is c, saying that the focus point will be further away: but that assumes that the focal point is not RIGHT NEXT to the divergent lens. If it were RIGHT NEXT (VERY CLOSE), the rays would diverge in the end rather than converge further down the road and this would prevent focusing.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, nothing is said about the location of the focal point of the divergent lens. You are right; the question is ambiguous.

ehild

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. Aug 15, 2014 #3
    My mistake. The answer is b!
    ehild, what I want to make sure is the following: what happens if the second lens, along with its focal point is much further away from the first lens. That is what I was saying with "the focal point of the divergent lens being right next to the divergent lens". What would seem to happen is that rays going through would diverge above and below by larger angles and prevent focusing. Am I not right?

Otherwise I pretty much get the problem.

The violet line represents what would happen to the rays shown in the problem if the focal point is too close to the diverging lens.
    The red lines represent the focal points of the second lens.
    The green lines represents two special rays to locate the image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  5. Aug 15, 2014 #4
  6. Aug 15, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you derive the expression for the position of the image if you are given f1 and f2 and D the distance between the lenses ?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted