Re-learning math from the basics -- Go through grades or topics?

In summary, The individual is planning to restudy math from the beginning (K-12) and is seeking advice on whether to study material grade by grade or topic by topic. They are also asking if there is a way to test themselves to determine where to start, as well as seeking advice on reconsolidating their foundations or starting from the 1st grade. Some suggestions for evaluating one's knowledge and choosing a starting point include taking tests and reviewing weak topics from an adult or junior-high level textbook. It is also suggested to consider registering for an Adult Education class/course which offers diagnostic tests to help determine placement.
Zephyyr441
Hi, everyone!

I'm planning on restudying math from the beginning (K-12), via KhanAcademy, MathIsFun, and plenty of other resources.

Now, what I'd like to ask is, as the title says, should I study material grade by grade or topic by topic?

Additionally, is there a way to test myself to know from which grade/topic I should start, like doing some sort of "evaluation test" or something similar whether on KhanAcademy or some other website?

I'm asking this primarily because I know that early math will be a breeze to go through, so instead of wasting time on that, I would like to know if there is a way to start from somewhere where I'm weak and have holes to fill in?

Or should I ignore that and immediately start from the 1st grade and reconsolidate my foundations?

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any sites that offers an evaluation. Have you had any luck searching the web?

If you can't find one, I imagine you have some idea of which topics you remember and which ones you might not be so confident about. So what I'd do is estimate a grade to start at and just start taking tests to see if you already know the stuff. If you do well, just go on to the test for the next topic. If you don't do well enough as far as you're concerned, then go through the unit on that topic to review and then retest. If you find yourself struggling a lot, then maybe go back to an earlier grade and try again. On the other hand, if it seems too easy, skip ahead a grade.

Likes Zephyyr441 and topsquark
Well, there's a reason material is taught in a certain order. I wouldn't want to go too far in one direction without "catching up" on others. To pick a goofy example, you can't be drilling down into calculus before you get to subtraction.

Likes Zephyyr441 and topsquark
Zephyyr441 said:
I'm asking this primarily because I know that early math will be a breeze to go through, so instead of wasting time on that, I would like to know if there is a way to start from somewhere where I'm weak and have holes to fill in?

Or should I ignore that and immediately start from the 1st grade and reconsolidate my foundations?
Hard to say. Many people would not need to study everything in-order. One may do well to review from an adult-level or even a junior-high level Basic Mathematics OR Pre-Algebra textbook. One should recognize what their weak topics are as one carefully scans the book's topics, section by section.

Have you thought about registering into an Adult Education class/course? They are usually setup to give diagnostic tests to help place you into a course, and the courses, especially if delivery is by Individualized Instruction each have their own diagnostic tests to point-up what topics for you to study in any enrolled course.

Likes Zephyyr441
Zephyyr441 said:
Additionally, is there a way to test myself to know from which grade/topic I should start, like doing some sort of "evaluation test" or something similar whether on KhanAcademy or some other website?
I did a Google search on standardized math tests for grammar school and high school and got lots of good hits. Maybe try that Google search to see if any of those K-12 evaluation exams might help you out.

Likes Zephyyr441 and FactChecker
vela said:
I don't know of any sites that offers an evaluation. Have you had any luck searching the web?

If you can't find one, I imagine you have some idea of which topics you remember and which ones you might not be so confident about. So what I'd do is estimate a grade to start at and just start taking tests to see if you already know the stuff. If you do well, just go on to the test for the next topic. If you don't do well enough as far as you're concerned, then go through the unit on that topic to review and then retest. If you find yourself struggling a lot, then maybe go back to an earlier grade and try again. On the other hand, if it seems too easy, skip ahead a grade.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, there's a reason material is taught in a certain order. I wouldn't want to go too far in one direction without "catching up" on others. To pick a goofy example, you can't be drilling down into calculus before you get to subtraction.

symbolipoint said:
Hard to say. Many people would not need to study everything in-order. One may do well to review from an adult-level or even a junior-high level Basic Mathematics OR Pre-Algebra textbook. One should recognize what their weak topics are as one carefully scans the book's topics, section by section.

Have you thought about registering into an Adult Education class/course? They are usually setup to give diagnostic tests to help place you into a course, and the courses, especially if delivery is by Individualized Instruction each have their own diagnostic tests to point-up what topics for you to study in any enrolled course.

berkeman said:
I did a Google search on standardized math tests for grammar school and high school and got lots of good hits. Maybe try that Google search to see if any of those K-12 evaluation exams might help you out.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and opinions, I really appreciate it.

I did try to Google for evaluation tests or diagnostic tests or something like that, but most of the time I either got something unrelated to what I was looking for, or something stuck behind a paywall.

I will try to find some tests by googling
standardized math tests for grammar school and high school
like @berkeman said, so hopefully, I'll find some good examples.

As for my math knowledge before, I forgot to mention that the last time I did math was in high school which was about 6-7 years ago. Each time I did math tests I managed to get a C and B (sometimes A's, but those were rare).

The problem with the method of studying back then that I was using was rote learning. I crammed everything the night before tests, so everything that I learned all those days at school, I basically forgot now. Which is the reason why I'm planning on restudying everything from the point where I'm weakest all the way up to the pre-college material.

This is the reason why I'm looking for some sort of "evaluation" or "diagnostic" test to see where I should start.

For example, I know how to do arithmetic operations (ASMD) with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, etc. I know percentages, exponentiation, rooting, ratios, proportions, and elementary algebra. But that's about all I can remember right now, so I don't know where to start right now.

I think I might do KhanAcademy's Course Challenge Quiz on each grade and write down topics on which I'm struggling then go topic by topic, if not the whole grade if all those topics are in one grade :D

Thanks again for the replies guys, it really means it

Zephyyr441 said:
I will try to find some tests by googling

like @berkeman said, so hopefully, I'll find some good examples.
BTW, I didn't click into any of the many links, but in case each of those standardized tests are things that you have to sign up for and pay money to take, you might look for "practice tests" on the Internet for any of those tests that look useful. Just use the name of each standardized test in each search for the practice tests, and you should be able to find some free ones to take on the web.

Likes Zephyyr441
berkeman said:
BTW, I didn't click into any of the many links, but in case each of those standardized tests are things that you have to sign up for and pay money to take, you might look for "practice tests" on the Internet for any of those tests that look useful. Just use the name of each standardized test in each search for the practice tests, and you should be able to find some free ones to take on the web.
Gotcha, I'll look into it. Thanks for the info!

Likes berkeman

1. How do I know where to start when re-learning math from the basics?

The best way to determine where to start is to take a diagnostic test or assessment. This will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and allow you to focus on the areas that need the most improvement.

2. Should I go through grades or topics when re-learning math from the basics?

It is recommended to go through topics rather than grades. This way, you can focus on specific concepts that you need to review, rather than going through all the material in a particular grade level.

3. How long will it take to re-learn math from the basics?

The amount of time it takes to re-learn math from the basics will vary for each person. It depends on your current level of understanding and how much time you are able to dedicate to studying. It is important to be patient and consistent in your efforts.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help me re-learn math from the basics?

There are many resources and tools available, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and educational websites. You can also consider hiring a tutor or joining a study group to help you with your re-learning journey.

5. How can I stay motivated while re-learning math from the basics?

Set achievable goals for yourself and track your progress. Celebrate small victories and don't get discouraged if you encounter challenges. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work. Surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people who can help keep you motivated.