1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Math From Very Basics to Calc and more

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    I am going to major in chemical engineering next year, but I feel like I don't have a great base in math, chemistry, or physics. Sure, I got "good" grades at the time, but I took a year off the subjects and now I feel like I am helpless.

What would be the best way to go about learning this on my own - what progression (specifically for math)?

I would like to start at Algebra and work my way up, maybe even start at a primer of pre-algebra just to make positive that I have a great math base.

For Chem and Physics I need the same guidance.

Recommend a path and resources I could use to get there.

Thank you so much,

Christian

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2
    khanacademy.com is a great way to refresh yourself on algebra all the way up to Trigonometry. However I find their Calculus lectures to be a bit lacking. It's best to work any subject after that with a text book and perhaps using something like ocw.mit.edu as another resource.

Also, don't forget physicsforums.com! Everyone here is more than happy to help you out with any problem you may encounter. PF is THE best resource for learning from my experience.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks a bunch!

I'll get started on khan - should take me quite a while to get through to trig.
    I'll reassess from there most likely.

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I highly recommend the book "Basic Mathematics" by Lang. It covers everything you should know about high-school mathematics. If you understand the book, then you're ready for calculus. The focus is a bit on proofs and theory, so this might not be what you want.

6. Mar 13, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the replies, but bump for more suggestions as well. Still working on a plan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook