Reaction of AgNO3, CaCl2, and Al2(SO4)3 with Ba(NO3)2 and then NaCl?

• Thread starter Widow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: Now, with the addition of NaCl you have to consider that the products of the first reaction are still present in the solution. So, for a: AgNO3 (aq) + Ba(NO2)3 (aq) + NaCl (s) = AgNO3 (aq) + Ba(NO2)3 (aq) + NaCl (aq)For b: BaCl2 (aq) + Ca(NO3)2 (aq) + NaCl (s) = BaCl2 (aq) + Ca(NO3)2 (aq) + NaCl (aq)And for c: 3BaSO4 (s) + 2Al(NO3)3 (aq) + 3NaCl (
Widow
1. The question is as follows: "You know that unlabeled bottle contains one of the following: AgNO3, CaCl2, or Al2(SO4)3. A friend suggests that you test a portion of the bottle with Ba(NO2)3 and then with NaCl. What behavior would you expect when each of these compounds is added to the unlabeled bottle?"2.

a) AgNO3(aq) + Ba(NO2)3 (s) = AgNO3 (aq) + Ba(NO2)3 (aq)

b) CaCl2 (aq) + Ba(NO2)3 (s) = BaCl2 (aq) + Ca(NO3)2 (aq)

c) Al2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3Ba(NO2)3 (s) = 3BaSO4 (s) + 2Al(NO3)3 (aq)

However, where I am stuck is figuring out how NaCl (s) reacts with the products of those three reactions. I'm aware that the first will produce AgCl as a precipitate and the second will not produce a precipitate, but I'm finding it difficult to figure out and balance the equations with three reactants. My tries are below, but I feel as if I am doing something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm tearing my hair out! :P3.

a) AgNO3 + Ba(NO3)2 + NaCl = NaNO3 + AgCl + BaCl2 (do I list Ba(NO3)2 and AgNO3 again as the ions can recombine?)

b) BaCl2 + Ca(NO3)2 + NaCl = NaCl + BaCl2 + NaNO3 + CaCl2

c) BaSO4 (s) + Al(NO3)3 + NaCl = Na2SO4 + NaNO3+ BaCl2 + AlCl3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand the question it is not adding the second reagent to the mixture, but splitting the mixture into two parts and testing each part separately.

Add state information (as (s), (aq)) to your reaction equations, they will be easy to follow both for you and us.

Do you know what a net ionic reaction is? If so, try to rewrite the reactions as net ionic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the lack of state information; I was in a bit of a rush and in a state of upset. I've added them now.

Do you think so? I thought the phrase "you test a portion of the bottle with Ba(NO3)2 and then with NaCl" indicates that you add NaCl to the same sample right after the Ba(NO3)2 (s) ? It also says "What behavior would you expect when each of these compounds is added to the unlabeled bottle," so I'm assuming there's only one unlabeled bottle to which you're adding these two compounds? Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I do know how to write a net ionic equation, and I would have had I not run into this problem :P.

I can write them out for the first step, yes, but since I'm confused with the addition of NaCl (s), I can't write those out yet.

a) No net ionic - no reaction

b) No net ionic - no reaction

c) 3SO42- (aq) + 3Ba2+ (aq) = 3BSO4 (s)

I know you said that you think that the Ba(NO3)2 (s) and the NaCl (s) are added separately, but is it possible to add the NaCl (s) right after the Ba(NO3)2 (s) and have a reaction with all those ions floating around (especially in reactions a and b). I hope I'm not being too confusing or vague.

I really appreciate your help! :)

OK, perhaps I am misreading the question - it is a little bit ambiguous to me, but then English is my second language.

Assuming you have to add both salts to the same sample - think what ions are present in the mixture. It really isn't much harder than mixing two salts, you just look what ions are present and what can happen. So far you are right with Ba(NO3)2 - a & b no reaction, c precipitation of solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
(s)

To answer the question, the behavior of each compound when added to the unlabeled bottle would be as follows:

a) AgNO3: When added to the unlabeled bottle, AgNO3 would react with Ba(NO3)2 to form a white precipitate of AgCl, indicating the presence of AgNO3 in the bottle.

b) CaCl2: When added to the unlabeled bottle, CaCl2 would react with Ba(NO3)2 to form BaCl2, which would not produce a precipitate. This indicates that the unlabeled bottle does not contain CaCl2.

c) Al2(SO4)3: When added to the unlabeled bottle, Al2(SO4)3 would react with Ba(NO3)2 to form BaSO4, a white precipitate. This indicates the presence of Al2(SO4)3 in the bottle.

After these reactions, adding NaCl would not produce any further reactions as the products, NaNO3 and BaCl2, are already present in the mixture. Therefore, the behavior of NaCl would not reveal any new information about the contents of the unlabeled bottle.

1. What is the purpose of mixing AgNO3, CaCl2, and Al2(SO4)3 with Ba(NO3)2 and then NaCl?

The purpose of this reaction is to observe the formation of precipitates and determine the solubility of the resulting compounds.

2. What are the expected products of this reaction?

The expected products are BaSO4, AgCl, Ca(NO3)2, and Al(NO3)3.

3. How can the solubility of the resulting compounds be determined?

The solubility can be determined by observing the formation of precipitates, which indicates that the resulting compounds are insoluble in water.

4. What is the role of each compound in this reaction?

AgNO3, CaCl2, and Al2(SO4)3 are reactants that will combine with Ba(NO3)2 and NaCl to form new compounds. Ba(NO3)2 is the main reactant that will determine the solubility of the resulting compounds, while NaCl is used as a source of chloride ions to promote the formation of precipitates.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this reaction?

Proper safety precautions should be taken, including wearing gloves and safety goggles, to avoid direct contact with the chemicals. The reaction should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. In case of accidental contact with skin or eyes, the affected area should be rinsed with water immediately.