Reaction of Manganese and hydrogen peroxide

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment where Mn2+ ions are reacted with NaOH, causing a shift in equilibrium and precipitation of Mn(OH)2. Hydrogen peroxide is then added, releasing gas and forming a brown precipitate, possibly MnO2. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in making Mn2O3 and the use of a redox reaction for hydrogen peroxide under basic conditions.
Moogie
Hi

In a recent lab I reacted Mn2+ ions with NaOH. The Mn 2+ ions exist in this equilibria

[Mn(H20)6]2+ + H20 <=>
[Mn(H20)5OH]+ + H30+

Addition of NaOH ions shift this equilibria to the left (by removing protons) until Mn(OH)2 is precipitated

Hydrogen peroxide is then added and some gas is released and a brown precipiate formed. I presume the peroxide is oxidising the Mn2+ ions but I don't know what the precipitate is or how to balance the reaction. Some possibilities are Mn02 and Mn2O3 which are manganese oxides in a higer oxidation state.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mn2O3 is not that easy to make.

I went for MnO2. I also used the redox reaction for hydrogen peroxide under basic conditions

Sounds reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
for sharing your lab results. It seems that the addition of hydrogen peroxide has caused the oxidation of the Mn2+ ions to a higher oxidation state, resulting in the formation of a brown precipitate. The exact composition of the precipitate will depend on the reaction conditions and the concentration of the reactants. It is likely that the precipitate is a mixture of manganese oxides, such as MnO2 or Mn2O3, as you mentioned. Balancing the reaction will require further experimentation and analysis. Overall, your results suggest that hydrogen peroxide can act as an oxidizing agent for manganese ions, which is an important reaction in many industrial and biological processes.

1. What is the reaction between manganese and hydrogen peroxide?

The reaction between manganese and hydrogen peroxide is a redox reaction, where manganese is oxidized and hydrogen peroxide is reduced. This results in the formation of manganese dioxide (MnO2) and water (H2O).

2. What is the formula for the reaction between manganese and hydrogen peroxide?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between manganese and hydrogen peroxide is: 2Mn + 2H2O2 → 2MnO2 + 2H2O

3. What is the role of manganese in this reaction?

Manganese serves as a catalyst in this reaction, meaning it speeds up the reaction without being consumed. It provides a surface for the reaction to occur and helps break down the hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen.

4. What are the conditions necessary for this reaction to occur?

This reaction requires the presence of a strong oxidizing agent, such as hydrogen peroxide, and a catalyst, such as manganese. It also requires an aqueous solution, as both reactants and products are soluble in water.

5. What are the applications of the reaction between manganese and hydrogen peroxide?

This reaction is commonly used in industrial processes, such as wastewater treatment and bleaching of textiles. It is also used in the production of batteries and the manufacture of glass and ceramics.