Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Read threads still highlighted

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I noticed over the last few days when I go to my PF or onto a forum and read a thread upon returning the thread is still highlighted (name in bold) to indicate it hasn't been read. It seems to happen most of the time now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    I've noticed this problem from time to time. The only solution that has worked for me is clearing cookies for this site.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Opening the same thread again can help. I had this problem frequently some months ago, but it is nearly gone now.

It is possible to use the forum database to store which threads are read - this has the advantage that it is really accurate (and unread threads are still marked as unread if you return to the forum with a new session), but that could influence the server performance.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks all. I logged out and cleared cookies and it seems to have worked for now.

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

After a few minutes problem is back again.

8. Jan 29, 2013 #7
    For me, the problem usually returns after a few weeks. I've never seen it return so quickly after clearing cookies.

9. Jan 29, 2013 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried it too. When I came back here, no threads were marked as unread (not even this one, which had posts I hadn't read), so I can't really test it now. I guess I'll see what happens later.

Edit: I don't think the problem was ever gone for me, but if it was, it's definitely back now.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook