Read threads still highlighted

• Bug
  • Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a recurring issue with threads on a forum remaining highlighted as unread even after they have been read. Various solutions were suggested, including clearing cookies and using the forum database to store read threads. However, the problem seemed to persist and return periodically for some users.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I noticed over the last few days when I go to my PF or onto a forum and read a thread upon returning the thread is still highlighted (name in bold) to indicate it hasn't been read. It seems to happen most of the time now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've noticed this problem from time to time. The only solution that has worked for me is clearing cookies for this site.

Opening the same thread again can help. I had this problem frequently some months ago, but it is nearly gone now.

It is possible to use the forum database to store which threads are read - this has the advantage that it is really accurate (and unread threads are still marked as unread if you return to the forum with a new session), but that could influence the server performance.

Thanks all. I logged out and cleared cookies and it seems to have worked for now.

After a few minutes problem is back again.

For me, the problem usually returns after a few weeks. I've never seen it return so quickly after clearing cookies.

I tried it too. When I came back here, no threads were marked as unread (not even this one, which had posts I hadn't read), so I can't really test it now. I guess I'll see what happens later.

Edit: I don't think the problem was ever gone for me, but if it was, it's definitely back now.

Last edited:

What does "read threads still highlighted" mean?

When a thread is marked as "read" on an online platform, it means that the user has already viewed the content of that thread. However, some platforms may still highlight the thread to indicate that there are new responses or updates to the thread.

Why are some threads still highlighted even after I have read them?

This could be due to a settings preference on the platform you are using. Some platforms allow users to choose whether they want read threads to remain highlighted or not. Additionally, if there are new responses or updates to the thread, it may also remain highlighted to draw your attention to it.

How do I remove the highlight from read threads?

This again depends on the platform you are using. Some platforms may have an option to manually remove the highlight from read threads. Others may automatically remove the highlight once you have viewed the thread again. Check the platform's settings or help section for more information.

Is there a way to customize the highlight for read threads?

Yes, some platforms may offer customization options for the highlighting of read threads. This could include changing the color of the highlight or choosing to remove it altogether. Check the platform's settings or help section for more information on customization options.

Why is it helpful to have read threads still highlighted?

Having read threads still highlighted can be helpful in keeping track of new responses or updates to threads that you have already viewed. It can also make it easier to navigate through a large number of threads and quickly identify which ones you have already read.