Ready for the Defense: A Look at Master's and PhD Thesis Presentations

• Thread starter Kalimaa23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, the person has recently handed in their Master's thesis and is now preparing for their defence in a few weeks. They have been congratulated by others and are not worried about the defence. The person also mentions that they might pursue a PhD, but more information will be available in a month. Their Master's defence will be done in casual clothing, but the style of the person is more classical. The PhD defence at their university is not a big formal occasion, but it could be different in other universities.
Kalimaa23
Alright! PF is back online. I've missed it a lot the last few days, not in the least because I have new to share : I've handed in my Master's thesis!

After living like a hermit the last few weeks finishing it, I can finally step into the sun (or rain, as the Belgian weather would have it) again and enjoy the fresh (if somewhat damp) air.

Now all that's left is the defence in a few weeks! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on finishing the write-up, and good luck with the defence!

Congratulations Dimitri!

Now relax in preparation for your defense.

Best wishes for a successful defense!

Yes good luck!, Feriens Tego.

Congrats! The worst is now over. The defense is easy to prepare once you've done all the writing.

Ah, the 18th has come and gone by.

Good luck!

Dimitri Terryn said:
Alright! PF is back online. I've missed it a lot the last few days, not in the least because I have new to share : I've handed in my Master's thesis!

After living like a hermit the last few weeks finishing it, I can finally step into the sun (or rain, as the Belgian weather would have it) again and enjoy the fresh (if somewhat damp) air.

Now all that's left is the defence in a few weeks! :biggrin:
good luck man, i am sure you'll do a great job for the defense...

Grootste onderscheiding toch huh...:wink:

marlon

marlon said:
good luck man, i am sure you'll do a great job for the defense...

Grootste onderscheiding toch huh...:wink:

marlon

[Dutch]
Dat zit erin, zit nu met een gemiddelde van 17.85, dus als mijn paar examens die ik nog moet doen in 2e zit deftig zijn en de thesis goed is...
[/Dutch]

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I'm not worried about the defense. I know the committee members well and I've been told that I am a good public speaker. The worst is now indeed over.

Awesome! Congrats!

If your radio appearance a few months ago was a proper indicator, you should have no problem at all with the verbal aspect of it. Congrats.

Danger said:
If your radio appearance a few months ago was a proper indicator, you should have no problem at all with the verbal aspect of it. Congrats.

And this time I will have had enough sleep and I won't be hung over! Presumably...

Congrats!

Bravo, Dimitri!

Do you get the same promoter/advisor for PhD thesis?
Have you lined up anyone new or gotten notions about topic?
Just curious. Maybe it is too early.

A friend of mine who is now postdoc here in US recently flew back to Finnland to do his PhD Defense, which turned out to be a big formal occasion, where everybody had good manners like it was 1906 and he
wore black tie with TAILS on the tuxedo. They really are upholding the tradition.

maybe in Belgium it is possible to defend the Masters in blue jeans. We of course do not know.
anyway many congratulations and I wish you a good new research topic.

The PhD remains to be seen. I'll be able to tell you more in a month or so.

The Ma defense will be done in casual clothing, but my style is rather classical so that doesn't matter much. The PhD in my university is done without much ceremony, it could be different in other universities though.

Related to Ready for the Defense: A Look at Master's and PhD Thesis Presentations

1. What is the news?

The news is that we have successfully completed our research and have made a major breakthrough in our field.

2. Can you give more details about the news?

Unfortunately, we are not able to share the details at this time as we are in the process of patenting our findings.

3. When will the news be officially announced?

We are currently finalizing the necessary documentation and plan to announce the news at our upcoming conference next month.

4. How will this news impact the scientific community?

We believe that this breakthrough has the potential to greatly advance our understanding and technology in this field, and we are excited to share it with our fellow scientists.

5. Is there any potential for this news to have real-world applications?

Absolutely. Our research has shown promising results for potential real-world applications, and we are eager to continue our work and see where it leads.