Ready for university by Grade 10 or age 16 yrs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age University
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 10K views
Well, I am 15 years old and the best at physics in my school and most of England for my age,I can grasp quite difficult concepts yet some graduate (MA+) stuff does mathematicly confuse me. I think I could get a physics BA but I won't be able to get a 2:1 or a 1st.
Also full marks in my BPhO paper 1 this year :D...In brief, yes you can go to university at 16...not necessarily do well though.

PS I am from England( as you may have worked out) and Oxford is too overated at physics :P Imperial College is 1000 times better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Modestas said:
Well, I am 15 years old and the best at physics in my school and most of England for my age,I can grasp quite difficult concepts yet some graduate (MA+) stuff does mathematicly confuse me. I think I could get a physics BA but I won't be able to get a 2:1 or a 1st.
Also full marks in my BPhO paper 1 this year :D...In brief, yes you can go to university at 16...not necessarily do well though.

PS I am from England( as you may have worked out) and Oxford is too overated at physics :P Imperial College is 1000 times better.

Erm.. you say that some "graduate stuff confuses you," but you don't think you will be able to get a 2:1 in a BSc degree? What are you basing these contradictory statements on?

I guess your name suits you, though.
 
Astronuc said:
Should Kids Be Able to Graduate After 10th Grade?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081107/us_time/shouldkidsbeabletograduateafter10thgrade
By KATHLEEN KINGSBURY Kathleen Kingsbury – Fri Nov 7, 4:50 am ET
Can most children be ready for junior college by Grade 10?!

This does seem to shift the burden of education from the public to the individual.

I went to high school in Plano Texas , Plano Senior High as well as Vines , most of the kids were fit to enter into college by the time they graduated from Vines ( first two years ) and many displayed an ability to skip the first two years of college by graduation from PSH ( next two years ).

High school trains one for college - where the performance actually goes on record. Just how much training does one need? My opinion is the more the better. Give them more time to ask more questions. More time to experiment. More time to test their skills with competitions e.g. Westinghouse.

Some states simply want to find ways to compete with faster nations such as China - where they teach Calc I - III and Differential Equations within one course. However expediting the schedule is going to cause many problems in my opinion - for one it is not based on the interest nor the displayed capability of the students.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think kids should be able. I was homeschooled, so I was a little different, but I started taking college classes at 15 and went away to college. i thought it was a very good decision. i wasn't wasting my time doing nothing when I could further my education.
 
Some schools in the US do not adequately prepare their students for college, and especially if you consider the inconsistency of the curriculum across the nation, it's hard to say that this is a good idea.

Even so, would you really want to be the 16-yr old in the class on campus?
 
noumed said:
Even so, would you really want to be the 16-yr old in the class on campus?

It's really not that bad. I fit in just fine.
 
noumed said:
Even so, would you really want to be the 16-yr old in the class on campus?

When I first went to high school as freshman, I took Basic Calculus. Needless to say, the class contained all seniors. As a sophomore I took AP Calc BC, and now, as a junior I'm taking Calc III online. So far, I have had no problem with any interaction of kids older than me. We're all there to learn.

As to when kids are ready for College, it really depends on the person. Some are mentally ready and mature enough to handle the university atmosphere, but most average 16 year olds are not. I like the idea of allowing kids to take a test to judge who is fit to take College courses...as long as the exam isn't watered down like everything else in the school systems.

Personally, I feel the courses in high school are already watered down too much. However, if they let too many average high school students in, the college courses will also be watered down.