Real Scientists in Sci-Fi: Balancing Accuracy and Offense

• Thread starter kered rettop
  • Start date
kered rettop
I suppose it's not exclusive to sci-fi writing but sci-fi must run into this problem quite frequently. I would like to cast real scientists into a story (Bohr and Feynman for example). Obviously I have to guess the sort of things they might have said if they had really encountered the mock-science that underpins the story. I just want to avoid offending anyone or, getting into worse trouble.

I'm Ok with not naming them specifically. "One of the audience in the front row was half-hidden by a set of bongo drums" should make it clear whom I mean. But what about Bohr, who is impatient with the speaker because her theory sounds even more far-fetched than that of Everett? There's a lovely opportunity for some gentle satire, but is it acceptable in today's snowflake culture?

Apart from "if in doubt, cut it out", what do you think?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kered rettop said:
I would like to cast real scientists into a story

"Wrong again, Albert!" :smile:

1706036227207.png

• Informative
Likes BillTre, russ_watters and kered rettop
kered rettop said:
But what about Bohr
Just call him Nicholas Baker. As they say on FB "if you know you know."

kered rettop said:
"One of the audience in the front row was half-hidden by a set of bongo drums"
That must be an enormously large set of bongo drums, or else he was holding them in front of his face...

Likes BillTre
Take a look at a novel. You see where it says "This novel is entirely a work of fiction. The names, characters and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or localities is entirely coincidental.” That is not there for decoration. It's there for a reason.

If you are writing urban fantasy, feel free to amend this to "living, dead or undead".

Likes kered rettop
Fair enough. Goodbye Neils, goodbye Richard. I shall miss you. :cry:

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
That must be an enormously large set of bongo drums, or else he was holding them in front of his face...
Do I have to spell everything out? If you must know, he'd just been shrunk down by a passing spacetime anomaly. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Hornbein

1. What does "balancing accuracy and offense" mean in the context of real scientists in sci-fi?

In the context of science fiction, "balancing accuracy and offense" refers to the challenge of accurately portraying scientific facts, theories, and methodologies while also being mindful not to misrepresent or stereotype real-world scientists. This balance is crucial to avoid perpetuating misconceptions or offending professionals and enthusiasts who are knowledgeable in the fields being depicted.

2. Why is it important to portray scientists accurately in science fiction?

Accurate portrayal of scientists in science fiction is important because it can influence public perception of science and scientists. Positive and realistic representations can inspire audiences, particularly young viewers, to pursue careers in science. Conversely, inaccurate portrayals might spread misconceptions about how scientific research is conducted and the nature of scientific inquiry.

3. Can you give examples of sci-fi works that successfully balance scientific accuracy with engaging storytelling?

Yes, films like "The Martian" and "Interstellar" are often praised for their efforts to incorporate real scientific principles into their narratives while ensuring the story remains engaging and accessible. "The Martian," for example, uses real planetary science and engineering to enhance the survival story of an astronaut stranded on Mars, making the plot compelling yet plausible.

4. How do sci-fi creators avoid offending scientists and science enthusiasts in their works?

Sci-fi creators can avoid offending scientists and science enthusiasts by consulting with science advisors and researchers during the development of their projects. This collaboration helps ensure that the scientific elements are portrayed accurately and respectfully. Additionally, creators should strive to avoid stereotypes about scientists and showcase the diversity within the scientific community.

5. What impact does the portrayal of scientists in sci-fi have on society?

The portrayal of scientists in science fiction can significantly impact society by shaping stereotypes and influencing career choices. Positive and accurate representations can demystify science and make it more appealing to a broader audience, potentially leading to greater scientific literacy and more interest in science careers among the public. On the other hand, negative or inaccurate portrayals might deter people from engaging with science or respecting its role in society.