Real World Applications of the (x-y)/(x+y) Equation

  • Thread starter Thread starter mathisp64
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difference Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
mathisp64
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Real world use of (x-y)/(x+y).


Homework Equations


(x-y)/x


The Attempt at a Solution


(x-y)/x solves for the mean difference ratio. I had 400 oranges and sold 100. 400-100/400 gives .75 or 75% remaining. I do not understand where I would use the difference over sum equation. The answer: .6 or 60% using this equation baffles me.

Can anyone set me straight on this.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mathisp64! welcome to pf! :smile:
mathisp64 said:
(x-y)/x solves for the mean difference ratio. I had 400 oranges and sold 100. 400-100/400 gives .75 or 75% remaining. I do not understand where I would use the difference over sum equation. The answer: .6 or 60% using this equation baffles me.

you have a party with 70 girls and 62 boys …

(x-y)/(x+y) tells you how unbalanced it is :wink:​
 
Thanks, that was exactly what I was needing to know.