Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really CNN? You might want to screen that first!

1. May 29, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

ahahaha :rofl:

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    I don't see why they should apologize.

5. May 29, 2010 #4
    Oh really? Please elaborate.

6. May 29, 2010 #5
    Ahahahah oh god. That is so wrong.

7. May 29, 2010 #6
    Ya so like I was watching the live feed at cnn of the oil spill stuff and it switched over to cnn news... Omg it's so bad seemed like every story they did was about as good as the one here.

8. May 29, 2010 #7
    On so many levels. :rofl: I mean, maybe it's alright to automatically think 'Ice Cube' when you see an old African-American lady bumpin' down the street in an old 70's coupe; but I know enough to keep it to myself (and my immediate friends). Broadcasting it to the world is a little risky. Surely someone will be offended.

9. May 29, 2010 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

Wake me up when its played during Al Sharpton speeches.

10. May 29, 2010 #9
    Oh, that is priceless on so many levels.

11. May 30, 2010 #10
    Because they didn't write the song, and if you turn on the radio to any hip-hop station you'll hear the world "nigga" at least 10-20 times in an hour. Who is supposed to be offended by this?

12. May 30, 2010 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah, dude, its one thing to imply it, but another to actually post it here..

13. May 30, 2010 #12
    That's right, they didn't write the song. They made a conscious decision that a) this song best describes the person for whom they are playing it and b) that the lyrics are equally appropriate.

My point was that clearly they did not do the latter very well.

14. May 30, 2010 #13
    Fascinating. I'm not one for censorship, and it would be interesting to see in which context the lyrics were. I realize that it's an incredibly loaded term, but if it wasn't used in a very provoking sense (promoting genocide or whatnot) I honestly don't see the problem.

15. May 30, 2010 #14
    I would have to disagree on a. I highly doubt they chose the song because it 'best describes the lady'. They chose it because it was funny as hell. An elderly lady (of any colour... plus this one is over 100) getting into her old coupe with rap music playing in the background? Pretty funny stuff...

On b) I agree they probably should have thought ahead of time the lyrics but it was live right? Maybe they just forgot or probably they had no idea what they were playing they just played some old school rap from youtube and with their luck it turned out to contain the word 'nigga' in the very short clip they played of it. Should they have apologized? Probably since it's a news station and no type of 'swearing' should be allowed. Should they apologize to the black community for being racist? No.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  16. May 30, 2010 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

:uhh:

Hold yourself to a higher standard.

17. May 30, 2010 #16
    ???

I really am starting to dislike the amount of posts that contain no explaination.

18. May 30, 2010 #17
    It didn't require one...

19. May 30, 2010 #18
    I have to agree with magpies, I think cronxeh made his point very well. You're not in high school, at least try to make your point without pitiful attempts at being inflammatory. So, hold yourself to a standard that is appropriate to the setting, and not your local bar at happy hour.

20. May 30, 2010 #19
    Ohh because I said '**** no nigga'? Yet it's ok for persons in other threads to poke fun at homosexuality? Righhhhttt...

I would say it's hardly something 'wrong' to say. But I guess that in part has to do with the local area I grew up with and lived my entire life.

Could have easily PM'd me or just pointed out they thought that was inappropriate and I could have deleted it, simple.

21. May 30, 2010 #20
    He could have, he didn't. I am just explaining what the clear message was that you seemed to want spelled out. For the rest, I am not getting into some cross-thread argument.

22. May 30, 2010 #21
    You've described everyone on this forum as "geeks". I'm offended and I want an apology.

23. May 30, 2010 #22
    Can this thread NOT turn into a petty pissing match, pretty please?

24. May 30, 2010 #23
    Have you seen what this thread is about?

25. May 30, 2010 #24
    You've started it by claiming anyone who doesn't agree with you is "pitiful" and needs to "hold themselves to a higher standard".

26. May 30, 2010 #25
    I did not say that, it was cronxeh, although I did concur. I don't see how that required that you derail this thread further.
    By the way, if you ever find yourself saying, "you started it", you should take a long moment to consider your position. That's right up there with, "she hit me first!"

Speaking of higher standards, isn't that what this thread is about magpies? CNN failed to live up to a reasonable standard of decent judgment. The issue of whether or not this is right or wrong is academic, the judgment was faulty given the standard they set.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook