Really CNN? You might want to screen that first!

No I think this thread is about if CNN is morally obligated to apologize for the clip. If CNN had standards they wouldn't have Larry King interviewing American Idol contestants while people are dying in Iraq still.

That being said, how have I derailed this thread? You made personal attacks on someone who was only discussing the issue surrounding the clip. Please come off that righteous pedestal of yours if you want to discuss this...

TubbaBlubba
I think that if anything, CNN should apologize for being a terrible news station.

No I think this thread is about if CNN is morally obligated to apologize for the clip. If CNN had standards they wouldn't have Larry King interviewing American Idol contestants while people are dying in Iraq still.

That being said, how have I derailed this thread? You made personal attacks on someone who was only discussing the issue surrounding the clip. Please come off that righteous pedestal of yours if you want to discuss this...

You do realize that I wasn't referring to YOU disrupting this thread? I was wondering what the hell you were talking about earlier, but I was talking to zomgwtf, not you. Again, if you feel the need to start a fight, send me a PM. I'm probably going to ignore it, but that's the place for attention-seeking behavior. You can be outraged as you wish, but at least get the point that I only responded to you after you replied to a post directed at someone OTHER than you.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
At least her car stands out. A 103-year-old driver would seem to be a rolling hazard on the road. Drivers get safer as they get older, with the safest drivers on the road being the 60 to 69 year olds. After age 70, drivers tend to get more and more dangerous. There aren't enough 100+ year old drivers on the road to warrant their own category, but if you project out the trend.....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-02-older-drivers-usat1a_N.htm

Or is that taking the thread off on a tangent?

alxm
Science Advisor
Meh, come on now. It was a bad choice of song, but so? The real beef here is why CNN, which was once a serious and respected news channel (yeah I know, 20 years ago), is broadcasting such a ridiculous puff piece. They're in this ridiculous race-to-the-bottom against Fox "News" et al, and it's just crazy.

I mean, Rick Sanchez? Seriously? The guy thinks Iceland is "too cold for volcanoes", asks what 22 meters is "in English" and thinks Hawaii is off the coast of South America! CNN couldn't recruit a single journalist who.. knows something? Even their ostensibly more 'heavy hitting' journalists are ridiculous.. one of the last times I tuned in, Wolf Blitzer was standing and interviewing another CNN journalist on some video-wall (which in-itself is pretty silly) about the latest news on Michael Jackson's death! (which also tells you how seldom I ever flip pas that channel).

There isn't a single American news channel worth watching anymore. BBC World, Deutsche Welle, Al-Jazeera.. They're all better by far. (And most cynically of all: CNN International is less dumbed-down as well!)

Ya Al-Jazeera does real news.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ya Al-Jazeera does real news.

Consuming media from a variety of sources will make you a better informed person. Al-Jazeera will give you an Arab perspective, something you won't get in Western media.

No I ment that you wont see fake bs storys on Al-Jazeera... Go to cnn and its all britney spears.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There isn't a single American news channel worth watching anymore. BBC World, Deutsche Welle, Al-Jazeera.. They're all better by far. (And most cynically of all: CNN International is less dumbed-down as well!)

Aah, that's the key. American audiences like their news dumbed down.

And I agree with magpies about Al-Jazeera. They spun off of the BBC when the BBC cut their Arabic language news staff in response to censorship from the co-owner Saudi government. They switched their base to Qatar in 1996 and for years were considered the only Arabic language news channel independent of government censorship. They were the only group providing info from Afghanistan prior to 9/11, giving them the opportunity to build a respected reputation with other news groups.

American opinion changed rather abruptly after 9/11 when it broadcast videos in which Osama bin Laden and Sulaiman Abu Ghaith defended and justified the attacks. It's also broadcast several videos of kidnap victims pleading for their life. Some have felt that having an avenue to get videos such as those aired helps to encourage terrorist activity.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No I ment that you wont see fake bs storys on Al-Jazeera... Go to cnn and its all britney spears.

Sorry for misunderstanding! I thought you were being sarcastic :redface:.