1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really stuck on this question about gravitational fields

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The gravitational field strength experianced by a satellite orbiting Earth is 4.5 N kg^-1. Calculate how high above the Earths surface the satellite is in orbit.

other info:

the gravitational constant is 6.67x10^-11
    the mass of the earth is: 6.0x10^24 kg
    the radius of the earth is: 6.38x10^6 m

2. Relevant equations

I think you have to use

g= GM / r^2

but the problem is i know to find distance you have to add it to the radius but im really unsure on how to rearrange this to find distance when i already have g.

3. The attempt at a solution

really not sure :l

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Smiley. I don't want to spoil your adventure with this problem, but I'll give you a terrific hint. In all these orbit problems that you'll meet this year, a circular orbit is implied. So you have circular motion. That means something is providing a centripetal force pulling the satellite toward the center of the circle. It is the force of gravity. Begin all these problems by writing
    centripetal force = force of gravity
    Fill in the detailed formulas and solve for the quantity you want!

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    thankyou for your reply!
    I think what you're trying to tell me is that i use gravity in my answer (as in 9.8?). Except i dont really understand where gravity fits in because aren't i supposed to be finding the distance?

I really appreaciate the help! :)

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Sorry, I now see that your question is not really an orbit problem. It s simpler than I wrote earlier!

Don't use g = 9.8; that is only true at the surface of the Earth. Out where this satellite is, you are given g = 4.5 N kg^-1. Just put that into your formula
    g= GM / r^2
    and solve for r. You will have to adjust that answer a bit to get the one the question asks for.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook