1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational field strength at a point

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the gravitational field strength at a point 6.38x106 m above the earth's surface?

2. Relevant equations
    r%5E2.gif
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so I plug in all the known variables. G= 6.67x10-11. M= 5.98x1024. r= 6.38x106 and so I multiply that by 2 because the given point is the exact same number as r. Then I powered by two. I calculate both top an bottom of the equation to get g= 39.8866x1013/162.8176x1012. For the answer I get a field strength of 2.449 m/s2. But the answer says that it is 0.622 m/s2.

Edit. I was looking at a wrong answer. You got to love my brain sometimes!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is an easy way to do this if you recognize what 6,380 km above the surface is in terms of the earth radii!

AM

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3
    Isn't 6,380 km above the surface just twice the radius of Earth?

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. So how should acceleration due to gravity there compare to the acceleration on the surface?

AM

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5
    Oh I see. So it would approximately be the square root of 9.8?

7. Jul 19, 2016 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

? Gravitational force and Gravitational force/unit mass (acceleration) is proportional 1/R2 so if R doubles from the surface, what happens to acceleration (ie. compared to acceleration at the surface, which is 9.8 m/sec2)?

AM

8. Jul 20, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This illustrates a benefit of always including units. In this case, the square root of 9.8m/s2 would be about ##3.1m^{\frac 12}s^{-1}##. Hmm.. I wonder what the square root of a metre looks like.

9. Jul 20, 2016 #8
    It would diminish by 4x?

10. Jul 20, 2016 #9

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct. Work that out and compare that to your answer.

AM

11. Jul 20, 2016 #10
    I actually figured this out when I had my test today it was one of the questions. I just put in some random masses and radius in the equation and saw that if you half the radius then the force of gravity increases by 4x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted