Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rearranging a formula (segment area)

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Hey
    I’ve been given a problem to solve involving the minor segment of a circle. I know that the formula to solve for a segment is:

[tex]S = \frac{1}{2}r^2 (\theta - \sin \theta )[/tex]

However in this problem I’ve been given the segment area and the radius of the circle and been ask to find the minor angle. So far the best I have managed in rearranging the formula is:

[tex] \theta - \sin \theta = \frac{{2S}}{{r^2 }}[/tex]

I am confused on what to do with the sin theta part, so if somebody out there is able to help it will be greatly appreciated. Or am I wasting my time and this is not possible?
    Many thanks in advance
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

verty

Homework Helper

The only way I can fathom to solve this is to plot the graphs of theta and sin(theta) over the interval {0; pi} and read the answer off the graph.

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    okay thanks for that, didn't even consider graphing it :)

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4
    You can use derivatives. If you have been given a function f(x). this function has a local minimum/maximum at those x values where [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = 0[/tex]. To be sure you are looking at a local minimum, you need to make a sign chart of the first derivative you just calculated. At those x-points when the sign of the [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = 0[/tex] changes from - to + , you are in a minimum.

In your case you have a function S of both r and [tex]\theta[/tex]. The [tex]\theta[/tex] corresponding to the minimum segment can be found by taking the first derivative of S with respect to r ([tex]\theta[/tex] is considered to be a constant) and solve that equation for [tex]\theta[/tex].

this should get you started

regards
    marlon

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you can assume that the angle is tiny, you may approximate the sine with a finite sum, say [tex]\sin(\theta)\approx\theta-\frac{\theta^{3}}{6}[/tex]
    This will yield:
    [tex]\frac{\theta^{3}}{6}\approx\frac{2S}{r^{2}}\to\theta\approx(\frac{12S}{r^{2}})^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

marlon, what does this problem have to do with finding a minimum?

8. Nov 6, 2006 #7
    Well, isn't he supposed to find the angle corresponding to the minimum segment surface ?

marlon

9. Nov 6, 2006 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, he's trying to find what angle a segment intersects on a circle given the radius of the circle and the length of the segment

10. Nov 6, 2006 #9
    Opps then i misread the question.

marlon

11. Nov 7, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Perhaps you misread " the minor segment ". Two radii divide a circle into two arcs. Unless the radii are part of the same diameter, one arc is smaller than the other: the "minor arc" and, by extension, forms the "minor segment".

12. Nov 7, 2006 #11
    KABOOMMMM... Indeed you are right : i completely misread that question. Thanks for the clarification.

regards
    marlon

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook