1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging a formula (segment area)

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Hey
    I’ve been given a problem to solve involving the minor segment of a circle. I know that the formula to solve for a segment is:

[tex]S = \frac{1}{2}r^2 (\theta - \sin \theta )[/tex]

However in this problem I’ve been given the segment area and the radius of the circle and been ask to find the minor angle. So far the best I have managed in rearranging the formula is:

[tex] \theta - \sin \theta = \frac{{2S}}{{r^2 }}[/tex]

I am confused on what to do with the sin theta part, so if somebody out there is able to help it will be greatly appreciated. Or am I wasting my time and this is not possible?
    Many thanks in advance
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

verty

Homework Helper

The only way I can fathom to solve this is to plot the graphs of theta and sin(theta) over the interval {0; pi} and read the answer off the graph.

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    okay thanks for that, didn't even consider graphing it :)

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4
    You can use derivatives. If you have been given a function f(x). this function has a local minimum/maximum at those x values where [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = 0[/tex]. To be sure you are looking at a local minimum, you need to make a sign chart of the first derivative you just calculated. At those x-points when the sign of the [tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = 0[/tex] changes from - to + , you are in a minimum.

In your case you have a function S of both r and [tex]\theta[/tex]. The [tex]\theta[/tex] corresponding to the minimum segment can be found by taking the first derivative of S with respect to r ([tex]\theta[/tex] is considered to be a constant) and solve that equation for [tex]\theta[/tex].

this should get you started

regards
    marlon

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you can assume that the angle is tiny, you may approximate the sine with a finite sum, say [tex]\sin(\theta)\approx\theta-\frac{\theta^{3}}{6}[/tex]
    This will yield:
    [tex]\frac{\theta^{3}}{6}\approx\frac{2S}{r^{2}}\to\theta\approx(\frac{12S}{r^{2}})^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

marlon, what does this problem have to do with finding a minimum?

8. Nov 6, 2006 #7
    Well, isn't he supposed to find the angle corresponding to the minimum segment surface ?

marlon

9. Nov 6, 2006 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, he's trying to find what angle a segment intersects on a circle given the radius of the circle and the length of the segment

10. Nov 6, 2006 #9
    Opps then i misread the question.

marlon

11. Nov 7, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps you misread " the minor segment ". Two radii divide a circle into two arcs. Unless the radii are part of the same diameter, one arc is smaller than the other: the "minor arc" and, by extension, forms the "minor segment".

12. Nov 7, 2006 #11
    KABOOMMMM... Indeed you are right : i completely misread that question. Thanks for the clarification.

regards
    marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?