1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging equation v²=u²+2as

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    I have been trying but i cant quite figure out how to rearrange this so that 's' (displacement) is the subject. Please help me figure this out.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What have you gotten so far?

Start by isolating "2as" to one side.

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    Mostly what i had tried involved me immediately trying move 's' to the other side (so eg. v²/s=u²+2a), which hadnt been working for me. So, by isolating 2as, would this be correct as what i end up with:

v²-u²
    _____ = s ?

2a

(Ordinarily 's' would be on the other side, but i couldn't work out how to do fractions on this forum).

So, is that pretty much right?

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4
    Yep, you got it. :biggrin:
    You can use Latex for it on the advanced posting screen, the button([tex]\Sigma[/tex]) is on the upper right:

[tex]s = \frac{v^2-u^2}{2a}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    Awesome, now that I understand this the rest of my work is easy. Thanks!

Thanks for telling me about this, many forums i visit I've needed something like this, but never known how to use it.

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6
    No problem, just take a little bit to get used to. I'm still trying to figure it out too. :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook