Rearranging equation v²=u²+2as

• Thread starter Infamous
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to rearrange an equation so that 's' (displacement) is the subject. The person has tried moving 's' to the other side but it hasn't worked. They then isolate 2as and ask if their resulting equation is correct. Someone suggests using Latex on the forum to write fractions and the person is grateful for the tip.
Infamous
I have been trying but i can't quite figure out how to rearrange this so that 's' (displacement) is the subject. Please help me figure this out.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you gotten so far?

Start by isolating "2as" to one side.

Mostly what i had tried involved me immediately trying move 's' to the other side (so eg. v²/s=u²+2a), which hadnt been working for me. So, by isolating 2as, would this be correct as what i end up with:

v²-u²
_____ = s ?

2a

(Ordinarily 's' would be on the other side, but i couldn't work out how to do fractions on this forum).

So, is that pretty much right?

Yep, you got it. :biggrin:
Infamous said:
(Ordinarily 's' would be on the other side, but i couldn't work out how to do fractions on this forum)
You can use Latex for it on the advanced posting screen, the button([tex]\Sigma[/tex]) is on the upper right:

[tex]s = \frac{v^2-u^2}{2a}[/tex]

Last edited:
Awesome, now that I understand this the rest of my work is easy. Thanks!

mplayer said:
You can use Latex for it on the advanced posting screen, the button([tex]\Sigma[/tex]) is on the upper right:

[tex]s = \frac{v^2-u^2}{2a}[/tex]

Thanks for telling me about this, many forums i visit I've needed something like this, but never known how to use it.

Infamous said:
Awesome, now that I understand this the rest of my work is easy. Thanks!

Thanks for telling me about this, many forums i visit I've needed something like this, but never known how to use it.

No problem, just take a little bit to get used to. I'm still trying to figure it out too. :yuck:

1. What does the equation v²=u²+2as represent?

The equation v²=u²+2as represents the relationship between an object's initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and displacement (s). It is commonly known as the kinematic equation for constant acceleration.

2. How do you rearrange the equation v²=u²+2as to solve for a different variable?

To rearrange the equation, you must isolate the variable you want to solve for. For example, if you want to solve for final velocity (v), you can subtract u² from both sides and then take the square root of both sides to get v = √(u²+2as). If you want to solve for initial velocity (u), you can subtract 2as from both sides and then take the square root of both sides to get u = √(v²-2as).

3. What are the units of measurement for each variable in the equation v²=u²+2as?

The units of measurement for velocity (v) and initial velocity (u) are meters per second (m/s). The unit for acceleration (a) is meters per second squared (m/s²). The unit for displacement (s) is meters (m).

4. What is the significance of the constant 2 in the equation v²=u²+2as?

The constant 2 represents the fact that acceleration is constant throughout the object's motion. This means that the object's acceleration does not change over time, and the change in velocity is directly proportional to the acceleration and displacement.

5. How is the equation v²=u²+2as derived?

The equation is derived from the basic kinematics equations that describe the relationship between an object's velocity, acceleration, and displacement. By manipulating these equations and combining them, we can arrive at the equation v²=u²+2as, which is a simplified version that represents the same relationship.