1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging terms in Trig equation

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    I was reading on planetary motion and have gotten hung up on a "rearrangement of terms" that the author skimmed over. It reads that:

r=e(k+rcos(θ))=(ek)/(1-ecos(θ))

It's been a while since I've been in a math class: I just can't follow how to get from a to b. Is there anyone who can walk me through this like I'm twelve?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2
    Put all the terms including [itex]r[/itex] on the left hand side and then factor out the [itex]r[/itex]. It might help you to multiply out the brackets on the right hand side first:

\begin{equation}
    r = e\left(k + r\cos \theta\right) = ek + er\cos \theta
    \end{equation}

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Try getting all the "r" terms onto one side of the equation first. That is, try [strike]adding[/strike] subtracting [itex]e\, r\, \cos(\theta)[/itex] to both sides.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  5. Aug 20, 2011 #4
    You mean subtracting, surely.

6. Aug 20, 2011 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Um yeah. Add the negative. ;)

BTW. We both posted at the same time. :)

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6
    Thank you two, I guess it's time for me to go back and audit some pre-algebra classes... :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook